NTSC vs. PAL?

Even though I live in the United States of NTSC, I've heard and read from various sources that a PAL setup is the way to go, mainly based on the extra resolution it provides, but also for a few lesser advantages - no drop frame, etc. I am most likely going the DVX route and I'm hoping to get some input on this. It's harder to find PAL equipment, fewer competitive suppliers in this country. When it IS made available, it's more expensive, and of course, no boatload of free goodies that come from buying a U.S. made NTSC DVX. But all those extra lines of resolution are mighty tempting.

I'm still pretty undecided on my ultimate target media for final output - DVD, internet, film, etc. But, from what I understand, there are programs that can handle THE conversions pretty well (Atlantis?). If anyone's read anything by Scott Billups, you know that he's a big advocate of PAL over NTSC, and he seems like a person whos advice is worth listening to. Of course, he's got alot deeper pockets than I do.

ANY input on this from you kind folks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

'sup fellow OC'er! :cool:

I've been lucky enough to work with a great DP who has a PAL XL1S. The higher resolution (combined with 25fps) has sold me on it, for sure.

Good luck finding a deck, though.

No idea about conversion proggies. :)

How ironic. I work in the UK and have always used PAL Systems and I've been looking at switching to NTSC simply because a $9000 NTSC camera costs £9000 when you buy the PAL version. That's nearly twice as much. The same is true of decks.

My thinking is that with HD resolution and most professional editing system able to handle both NTSC ans PAL, the advantages of PAL aren't so apparent, but I maybe wrong about this.

I seriously considering bench testing identical PAL and NTSC cameras and then making my mind up.

Back