How Much $$$

Hey forum.

i've been making and editing videos for 4 years now, with great success and education. The only thing is, i don't make money off of it and i very well could. Id like to start but i'm unsure of what to charge when they ask how much do you charge. I'm capable of writing, shooting, editing, authoring, and have done side jobs for people on the side but know i could be making more. What id like to know is how much do you charge when asked and for what tasks?

-tom

Consider your market, your clients, your experience, etc. You may want to start at $25/hr. if you are freelancing and just starting out.

It depends whether you are shooting a wedding for your buddy Joe or shooting a commercial for a bank, there are different rates for all kinds of industrial and commercial videos/films. If you are talking about making a career from making narrative or documentary films, there is a large gap from being able to shoot and edit a video and being able to carry off a major production.

I'm a camera operator in a major production hub. I have over 15 years of experience. I can charge a lot. I'm a good editor with several gigs under my belt but I can't charge much because I haven't built up a client base and the competition is fierce.

In order to really know how much you should charge you need to consider many factors. indietalk already covered the top three. You need to know what other people are charging in your area for the same type of job. Here in Los Angeles if an experienced shooter, editor or DVD authorer (?) charged $25/hr they would be considered a newbee - no one charges so little. Here. I'm sure it's different in your area. What are other freelancers in your area charging?

If you work in the NY market, I can tell you $75/hr. is about the lowest you will see a professional charge. That's an editor at a small production house that does a lot of video work for filmmakers, and not commercial stuff. Hope that helps.

Often the best hard nose business way is to find out what other people are charging and either take the average to start OR undercut them thus ensuring you are most competative. This can get you VERY busy however!

Well i put an advert in my local telephone directory advertising my video services and in two months i have only recieved one phone about filming a golden wedding anniversary, which all came to nothing as they changed their mind in the end.

Back