Getting Representation in LA

I will be moving to LA next month and I definitely want to hit up the very best agencies, i.e. William Morris, UTA, ICM, Endeavor, etc. I am wondering if anyone knows how to go about this. Do I just call the agency and set up a meeting? Are they all exclusive? Do I need a different agent for each of my jobs? I am a director and actor (and editor) with really good resumes for a guy just moving out there. I have an excellent agent here - the biggest in OKC right now, but none of the big agencies in LA seem to be set up like hers. Any suggestions or advice will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

-Logan

you either need a gig to get an agent...or an agent to get a gig...unless you can figure out a way to network yourself in. This is all from what I've heard not from experience.

Moving to LA?!

I'll have my people get in touch with your people, and then we can do lunch.
smiley_pac.gif

Seiously, let me know when you're here. :cool:

I will be moving to LA next month and I definitely want to hit up the very best agencies, i.e. William Morris, UTA, ICM, Endeavor, etc. I am wondering if anyone knows how to go about this. Do I just call the agency and set up a meeting? Are they all exclusive? Do I need a different agent for each of my jobs? I am a director and actor (and editor) with really good resumes for a guy just moving out there. I have an excellent agent here - the biggest in OKC right now, but none of the big agencies in LA seem to be set up like hers. Any suggestions or advice will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

-Logan

Unfortunately, most agencies won't even set an appointment with anyone unless they've been referred by someone they know OR another one of their clients.

Since you're an actor, you might want to consider going on a ton of auditions and then start networking like hell...

Most of the filmmakers I know in the area that are attempting to become directors end up making a short or feature and then 4-walling it somewhere and invite agents, producers, etc. to the film.

Since you're already with an agency where you are, it couldn't hurt to try and get your current agent to attempt to set you up with some meetings if she is willing to do that for you.

If none of that works out, there's always managers... Managers are becoming a little more popular these days and are a little more approachable because they're always looking for talent.

In addition to the above, get involved in acting workshops and network -- let people know you're a director. Get the word out as much as you can.

You can definitely try setting your own appointments while you're out there but don't be surprised if doing so doesn't work out... Getting an agent is mostly by referral.

Good luck with it!

filmy

Agents here in Los Angeles don't get their clients work. They negotiate the deal. If you don't already have a job as a director or editor none of the big agencies will be interested in you.

At the beginning of your career I would recommend not trying to be a hyphenate - at least when it comes to agents and managers. Concentrate on one thing. Since you are already a worrying actor with an agent I suggest you hit the agencies as an actor only.

You can, of course, make your own movies as a director and editor but don't try to spread yourself too thin when presenting yourself professionally. Some casting directors are wary (for very good reasons) sending out a new (to LA) actor if that actor also is a director. Some directors worry (for very good reasons) about casting actors who are also directors. At least at the beginning of your career. Once you prove yourself as a professional you can branch out.

And don't forget the smaller agencies. Of course it would be great to move to town, get an agent at WMA or UTA and get right to work. But my advice it to also consider some of the small agents. However, with a referral from the biggest agency in OKC you may be able to skip over the "baby steps".

Back