I need a DSLR

I need a DSLR because I'm going to be majoring in photography this year. But I would like one that records good video as well (instead of dropping a nother few grand on a camcorder. Also, I like the idea of being able to easily use different lenses.)

So I would just like some suggestions on what to check out. I think the 5d mark ii has nice video, but I don't really want to spend that much. I've looked at the nikon d90, but have heard mixed reviews on the video. I also just found the canon 7d, but don't know much about it.

Any input?

I've seen some incredibly impressive video footage from the DSLR cameras. The 7D is pretty good, especially with 24P. The sensor is smaller, but not by much from the 5D.

i did a little research on the 7d since i posted this, so far i really like what i see. i'm a little shy with the $1800 price tag though. especially since there are plenty of accessories i'm going to need (or more likely-want hah)

any input on the nikon d90? or any other camera for that matter?

I would say forget about the D90 and get that 7D. I think it's worth the extra expense to get something you definitely won't regret. I love the stuff I've seen from the Canons.

i haven't heard anything bad about the 7d. and i have seen a lot of good footage from it. I think if I can get ahold of one, I'm going to have to do it.

Onto the next subject:
I don't know much about lenses yet, but I would like to see what some prices are.

Is there a specific lense where I can get a mid to deep range dop? I think it's a good, cinematic looking technique; but I agree with what someone said an another post. People use it way to aggressively.

I prefer mine mild :)

Thanks for the replies

A great thing about the 7D is it comes with a stock lens, 28-135mm. If you want shallow depth of field, use the higher (zoomed in) mm settings. If you don't want that, keep the lens on wide and move your camera around. In other words, don't zoom in to get a close up, move your camera closer. Wide = deep focus. Zoom = shallow focus.

Of course, you could buy prime lenses, with specific focal lengths, but you said you were on a budget. Save your money and use your zoom, like you would a prime.

forget the 7d for now. I just don't think I'll be able to afford it. So let's talk about:

Canon Rebel T1i

I've only read a few different reviews so far and watched a couple vids on vimeo where this was used. Some reviews hate the video, some love it. Some of the clips I've seen seem a little too video esque. Given the right tools and talent, could I manipulate the video to how I really want, or am I stuck with all the other digital n00bz?

I'll keep researching, but if anyone has any experience or an opinion on this camera, (particularly about the video, but I'd like feedback on other aspects as well) please share.

gracias

DSLR for

I need a DSLR because I'm going to be majoring in photography this year. But I would like one that records good video as well (instead of dropping a nother few grand on a camcorder. Also, I like the idea of being able to easily use different lenses.)

So I would just like some suggestions on what to check out. I think the 5d mark ii has nice video, but I don't really want to spend that much. I've looked at the nikon d90, but have heard mixed reviews on the video. I also just found the canon 7d, but don't know much about it.

Any input?

Being a Canon user, I have looked at the 7D and decided to go with the 5D MkII or even the 1DS MkIII. You need to look at the imager size. While I am sure that the 7D would do a find job, it has the smaller imager. As you are looking at shooting video as well, look at the EOS 5D MKII. Canon's website has a few videos shot with it. Here is a great one done with it:

A Three Act Play

Hope this helps :)

Any input?

Granted, I understand that you are trying to avoid the higher price tag but in the long run, it's worth it.

In the meantime, I need to pick up at least one or two sound blimps.

See ya!

forget the 7d for now. I just don't think I'll be able to afford it. So let's talk about:

Canon Rebel T1i

I've only read a few different reviews so far and watched a couple vids on vimeo where this was used. Some reviews hate the video, some love it. Some of the clips I've seen seem a little too video esque. Given the right tools and talent, could I manipulate the video to how I really want, or am I stuck with all the other digital n00bz?

The T1i only does 20fps and 30fps, not 24. That's deal breaker for me, even if the camera only cost $50.

Mow a few extra lawns and spring for the 7D. You'll be a LOT happier with your purchase.

The T1i only does 20fps and 30fps, not 24. That's deal breaker for me, even if the camera only cost $50.

Mow a few extra lawns and spring for the 7D. You'll be a LOT happier with your purchase.

This.

The T1i is a good camera, but if you want the video feature for any semi-serious (even if it is just starting out) work, I'd go a bit higher.

7D seems to be the sweet spot for price/feature at the moment.

I attended a launch party for the 7D in my city and was very impressed (even though I shot Nikon). My suggestion is to check the lens capability and see what works (I know for Nikon you can use any lens* however I'm not sure how Canon's lens mounting system works), if the T1i can't use the advanced lenses you will likely be shooting yourself in the foot for the long run.

For the lens, I'd suggest going with a simple kit lens (cheapest thing with a bit of mid-range zoom), then play around a bit and see what you really need for your style of shooting, then buy something used that matches. Its what I did and now I have a lot of f/1.2 & f/2.8 pro lenses for significantly less than MSRP for my Nikons.

I, being a Nikon shooter, have to wait to see what better Video they put into their DSLR line-up. If it does get good soon I'll likely pick up a 7D and a Nikon/Canon Lens converter for my video needs.

* Many older Nikon Lenses don't have all the capabilities as newer ones, and a few aren't DSLR capable ( but thats like 2% of the market.)

Back