Selecting microphone(s) for film

I’m looking to buy one or two boom microphone to be used in the production of narrative and documentary films. I’ll be shooting mainly interiors with the occasional exterior. What I’ve gathered from reading a lot of forums is that it is best to use a hypercardioid for interiors and a shotgun for exteriors, but I’ve seen some who disagree saying that some shotguns (particularly ones that aren’t tube-interference, like the Sanken CS-1) work fine indoors and other saying that a hypercardioid can do fine outdoors in low-noise conditions. I’m looking for more opinions on this issue.

I’m also looking for mic suggestions. My budget is around $1000 (for the one mic or the two together). I've heard great reviews (and in some cases great samples) of the AT4053, AKG CK93, Sennheiser ME 66, and Oktava MK-012. Didn't like the samples I heard of the various Rode mics and the AT4073. I'm curious to know if anyone has used the AKG CK98. On the higher end (i.e. if I only got one mic), it's the Sanken CS-1 and the MKH416. Don't know of a good hyper at that price. (MKH50 is a little high.)

I should also mention that my intended showcase for the finished products is the web / DVD, so if an expensive and less expensive mic can't be distinguished on normal speakers / headphones, then the cheaper is all I need. I'm also new to booming, so a microphone with low-handing noise and a forgiving range is best.

Thanks!

I won't see why you wouldn't be happy with the Rode NTG-3. IMHO, it sounds nearly identical to the Sennheiser MKH-416.
I had the Sennheiser K6/ME66 and it is not anywhere close to the MKH-416 or NTG-3.
The ME66 sounds to thin for my taste, the NTG-3 is much warmer, has more presence.

You might also considering in buying a wireless mic like the Sennheiser EW100 set. I use that all the time for interviews, sounds great and works quite reliable.

I checked out some more sample of the NTG-3 and liked what I heard. Not sure why the sample I had originally heard had so much noise. Will go with the NTG-3, especially give some the $1 blimp deal now.

Thanks!

Back