Startup movie.

So I am new and fresh in the filming industry but not in the writing one.. So I've been writing a decent ( in my opinion ) screenplay and I want to take it to the next level so of course my budget is not above 10,000$ and I will need to find people who are willing to take this film as a learning experience and as an investment .

A few questions.

1. I personaliy dont live in an area like hollywood where you can find a lot of actors and crew so where would it be smart to look for a crew?

2. Do we really need to follow the screenplay 1:1 because I believe it would be hard for an amateur crew, would improvisation be smart?

3. Honestly all this industry is really scary but meh I do want to believe that if I really believe in my product and my screenplay it can do welll, what do you think about this?

4. My screenplay was inspired by Paranormal Activity hence I do not need a special camera but the other equipment is required, where can I rent decent equipment for a decent price and what is usually the costs?

Basically my screenplay is horror and if you want to suggest me anything or give me tips feel free!

1. I personaliy dont live in an area like hollywood where you can find a lot of actors and crew so where would it be smart to look for a crew?
There are actors all over. Is there a university nearby? How about
a small theater?

2. Do we really need to follow the screenplay 1:1 because I believe it would be hard for an amateur crew, would improvisation be smart?
Improvisation can be much more difficult for amateurs. But give it
a try. In general having a script is better. It gives everyone a firm
foundation
3. Honestly all this industry is really scary but meh I do want to believe that if I really believe in my product and my screenplay it can do welll, what do you think about this?
Every single filmmaker you have ever heard of was once a beginner
with a dream. It will take many tries for you to get good enough
to make a movie other people will want to see so no time like
now to get started.

There are actors all over. Is there a university nearby? How about
a small theater?

Improvisation can be much more difficult for amateurs. But give it
a try. In general having a script is better. It gives everyone a firm
foundation

Every single filmmaker you have ever heard of was once a beginner
with a dream. It will take many tries for you to get good enough
to make a movie other people will want to see so no time like
now to get started.

Hello there and thanks you for the fast response, do you have any estimation for my question about the costs of renting equipment? ( Not five stars equipment but something cool ).

May I ask what are you doing in the industry because I see you live in hollywood and also an old timer in this forum so I am curious.

And is there a way to contact you more in private I want to share a bit of my screenplay for feedback if possible.

Thanks.

do you have any estimation for my question about the costs of renting equipment? ( Not five stars equipment but something cool ).

That's a "How long is a piece of string?" question. There are just too many variables. We don't even have any idea of where you live! For a start, how many days will you be shooting? And what you may consider cool someone else may consider just another camera.

Trew Audio can rent you just about anything you need for production sound and ships anywhere in North America.

But having the gear is nowhere near the same as using it. Try you find someone to handle your production sound. If you only pay one person on your set, make it the PSM/Boom-Op.

Your project will only look as good as it sounds, because
"Sound is half of the experience"

If your film looks terrible but has great sound, people might just think it's your aesthetic.
If your film looks great and has bad sound, people will think you're an amateur.
Sound is the first indicator to the industry that you know what you're doing.

No matter what else you do, GET THE SOUND RIGHT!!!

I didn't answer the rental question because I have no idea where
you would rent equipment, what equipment you need or what it
will cost. You don't mention where you are other than you don't
live in place where there are actors. So I assume if there are no
actors there are nor equipment rental houses.

Welcome to indietalk!

That's a "How long is a piece of string?" question. There are just too many variables. We don't even have any idea of where you live! For a start, how many days will you be shooting? And what you may consider cool someone else may consider just another camera.

Trew Audio can rent you just about anything you need for production sound and ships anywhere in North America.

But having the gear is nowhere near the same as using it. Try you find someone to handle your production sound. If you only pay one person on your set, make it the PSM/Boom-Op.

Your project will only look as good as it sounds, because
"Sound is half of the experience"

If your film looks terrible but has great sound, people might just think it's your aesthetic.
If your film looks great and has bad sound, people will think you're an amateur.
Sound is the first indicator to the industry that you know what you're doing.

No matter what else you do, GET THE SOUND RIGHT!!!

That's kinda hard to estimate as it would be my first project and filiming with a crew I most likely dont know personaliy, let's assume 3-4 months ?

my budget is not above 10,000$

let's assume 3-4 months?

That's about $120 a day.

do you have any estimation for my question about the costs of renting equipment?

Does it really matter?

You're going to struggle to be even able to feed your cast and crew and have some dollars left over for problems you'll face in post production.

While I do appreciate, $10k is a lot of money, when you're talking about teams of people and film making, it doesn't really go that far.

I will need to find people who are willing to take this film as a learning experience and as an investment.

Your end result will depend on the quality of your team, most particularly the quality of the leaders of the team (Director, Producer etc). You may end up lucky and put together the right team who are extremely passionate, though the odds are against you.

I'm thinking of an idea, though it'd depend on what you're trying to accomplish with this.

That's about $120 a day.

Does it really matter?

You're going to struggle to be even able to feed your cast and crew and have some dollars left over for problems you'll face in post production.

While I do appreciate, $10k is a lot of money, when you're talking about teams of people and film making, it doesn't really go that far.

Your end result will depend on the quality of your team, most particularly the quality of the leaders of the team (Director, Producer etc). You may end up lucky and put together the right team who are extremely passionate, though the odds are against you.

I'm thinking of an idea, though it'd depend on what you're trying to accomplish with this.

What idea sir? share with me !

Back