• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Help determining post-production credits

I'm working on the post-production of an independent film, and we're being asked to supply how we want to be listed in the end credits. My colleague and I have had to wear a variety of hats during post, and while we've been labeled under Sound Design to date, we're trying to decide just how best to be listed. Currently we are also listed just under our company name, but given all the effort we've put in, we are hoping to see our names listed individually as well.

We've done the work that would fall under Sound Editing, Dialogue Editing, ADR Editing, Foley Artist & Foley Editor. Among other roles. I understand that's not abnormal on independent films, and as best I can tell, the guidance I've seen online is to just list one role for a given person, and pick the most senior title. Is that the convention? Even so, I'm not sure what that is in this case.

Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

Last edited:
I get what you mean and i am in the same boat. i don't wanna put me as special effects. editor. boom op. co writer co director. it seems so cocky but i mean, i did do all that stuff.

I'm working on the post-production of an independent film, and we're being asked to supply how we want to be listed in the end credits. My colleague and I have had to wear a variety of hats during post, and while we've been labeled under Sound Design to date, we're trying to decide just how best to be listed. Currently we are also listed just under our company name, but given all the effort we've put in, we are hoping to see our names listed individually as well.

We've done the work that would fall under Sound Editing, Dialogue Editing, ADR Editing, Foley Artist & Foley Editor. Among other roles. I understand that's not abnormal on independent films, and as best I can tell, the guidance I've seen online is to just list one role for a given person, and pick the most senior title. Is that the convention? Even so, I'm not sure what that is in this case.

Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

I don't think there is a "convention" or standard. If you want to see your
name on the credits multiple times then you can do that. You want your
effort to be noticed - that's understandable.

For the viewer (even the filmmaker who does everything) seeing the same
couple of names over and over seems a little egotistical. An unfair conclusion
to draw but the truth. So it's entirely up to you.

Not much help, sorry.

On most projects my credit is:

"Audio post by Bob Kessler"

There is usually something like:

"Audio post facilities provided by Alcove Audio Productions"

Those who know what audio post is will get the message, that I did the Dialog Editing, Foley, Sound Effects, Music Editing and ReRecording; those who don't probably don't matter too much.

And talk about "raging egomaniac" credits......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s3UogfAGg0

Back