Need general advice on everything needed for a 15-30 min short film

I am wanting to talk to the more knowledgeable filmmakers on here who have had some experience with making full, professional short indie films (or even Hollywood ones, since a lot of the production stuff is the same), and get some advice from them about the costs, supplies, employees/crew, and all such things needed to assist me in making my short film.

Let me level some details at you first: I am wanting to shoot it on standard, old-fashioned 35 mm film. I am going for the lowest budget possible. I am assuming I'm going have to hire scouting agents, grips, camera loaders and focus pullers, and possibly cameramen (I am thinking about doing that job myself since I'm a photographer), and will have to rent the camera/lights/scrims/etc, and probably a caterer since I can't expect all those people to work all day and not feed 'em. Plus paying the people that I want to have in the scenes (which won't have to speak any lines as it's an entirely nonverbal film). One of the places I think I want to shoot is the Santa Monica Pier (from a distance) so that probably means permits, blah blah. Overall I'm wanting to go with as low a number of crew (notice I didn't say cast or actors, of which there'd be many).

So am I guessing right, in guessing that I'll need all those people? What other aspects of it have I forgotten that will likely come into play that I'll need to research?

I basically am wanting to use you guys as a soundboard to figure out ALL details, pros, and cons of getting this film started and off the ground.

Hope that's not too daunting! Let me know, guys!

Last edited:
What have you made before?

You'll need experience to do this.
And if you want the budget as low as possible: shooting on 35mm might not be the most cost-effective way.

I am wanting to talk to the more knowledgeable filmmakers on here who have had some experience with making full, professional short indie films (or even Hollywood ones, since a lot of the production stuff is the same), and get some advice from them about the costs, supplies, employees/crew, and all such things needed to assist me in making my short film.

Let me level some details at you first: I am wanting to shoot it on standard, old-fashioned 35 mm film. I am going for the lowest budget possible. I am assuming I'm going have to hire scouting agents, grips, camera loaders and focus pullers, and possibly cameramen (I am thinking about doing that job myself since I'm a photographer), and will have to rent the camera/lights/scrims/etc, and probably a caterer since I can't expect all those people to work all day and not feed 'em. Plus paying the people that I want to have in the scenes (which won't have to speak any lines as it's an entirely nonverbal film). One of the places I think I want to shoot is the Santa Monica Pier (from a distance) so that probably means permits, blah blah. Overall I'm wanting to go with as low a number of crew (notice I didn't say cast or actors, of which there'd be many).

So am I guessing right, in guessing that I'll need all those people? What other aspects of it have I forgotten that will likely come into play that I'll need to research?

I basically am wanting to use you guys as a soundboard to figure out ALL details, pros, and cons of getting this film started and off the ground.

Hope that's not too daunting! Let me know, guys!
Shooting on film you will need a minimum of 2 camera crew; First AC and
Second AC/Loader. They both need to be experienced in shooting film. The
DP (you?) will operate.

This minimum crew I suggest is:

DP/operator
1st AC
2nd AC/loader
1st AD
script supervisor
gaffer
dolly grip/key grip
grip/electric
grip/electric
grip/electric
makeup/costumer
set dresser/props
audio recordist
boom op
craft services/caterer
5 PA’s who each have specific tasks

You say there will be no spoken dialogue so you may not need audio. I would
still advise to record ambiance on location for your final audio mix.

You may need a Location Manager to help with locations like the Santa Monica
Pier.

Equipment will depend on your locations and your budget. Of course you want
the “lowest budget possible” so you should hire a good DP and Key Grip, show
them the script and let them tell you what equipment you will need.

The minimum equipment I would suggest having on hand is:
standard legs with spreader
baby legs
changing bag
6 lights with stands
2 china balls
8 extension cords
6 power strips
black wrap and gels
2 bounce boards
a good shotgun mic
a boom with extension cables and shock mount
headphones
4 apple boxes
a coffee maker
a slate with marker
gaffers tape
a bunch of C-47’s

There are more camera accessories needed but I'll let you First AC tell you what
is needed.

I just came off of producing my first short (20-25 min), and I had many of the same questions. It was shot on a Canon D5 Mark 2.

For crew, I had: Director, DP, Gaffer, Key Grip, Sound, Production Designer/set, Makeup, Hair/Wardrobe. Myself and the writer/producer performed double duty as script supervisor, location manager, and catering. All told, we had a cast and crew of 16 people.

You'd definitely need a permit to film in Santa Monica - http://www.filmla.com/ handles the permits. The minimum cost is around $600 and to get a permit you will also have to have liability insurance- if it's a short shoot, be sure to find a broker that can write you a 5-day policy (way cheaper). Also, make sure that you have coverage for rented equipment. Navigating the permit and and insurance stuff was one of the biggest challenges, but we worked it out.

Good luck!

For film, you'll need a loader / 2nd AC (who can also pull focus) and an AC who both need experience with film. You can operate the camera.

Then, it depends. So:

- Chief lighting technician. I use LEDs which reduces issues.
- Catering
- AD who can double as script supervisor as there is no script
- Sound recordist: Just for ambient
- Couple of runners.
- Makeup

Other stuff:
- Set dresser if you want it to look good (can also cover props)
- Wardrobe unless you want to pick the actors' clothes yourself
- Grip
- More runners

Don't know what your electrical environment is. If it is as simple as mine, then you can get away without a gaffer but in your case, I don't know how complex this is.

In your position, as you've never shot with film before, I'd suggest hiring someone who knows what they're doing and getting them to liaise with you to pick out the crew. Might be worth hiring a DoP or a 1st AD to sit down with you to work it out.

Back