• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Colour Grading - Cinematography Project

Hey, I started my University Course last month and I have been asked to shoot, direct and edit a music video and epk and I was very excited to see how my epk would turn out so I started to edit this first. I wanted a distinct look about the video with lots and lots of lens flares and just some gorgeous visuals, I shot on a Sony NX5E in 1080i converted to 1080p and I used Apple's FCPX to edit with.

I wanted to make my work stand out more than the other pieces of work that I was competing against, my course and the industry is very competitive as most of you know, so I began colour grading it. It was long and tedious, and when I had my finished article I began adding in some lens flares, now most of the lens flares where very boring and couldn't be tweaked very much and I wanted some of them to be very subtle and others to be very over powering because I wanted the landscape to reflect the artists voice, which it could never do as her voice is amazing.

But i spent 30 hours in post colour grading and I hope you enjoy it and I hope it was worth my time. I just want to know if there is anything I should do because I want top marks on this and I don't just want the artist to look at it once or twice I want her to actually use it to help her get recognised.

https://vimeo.com/52925854

Here's the link. Please watch it and please please please leave me a comment, I'm a student filmmaker from Liverpool and I want to one day be in as high demand as Philip Bloom as he's my role model in the DSLR world. So thanks for the support.

Enjoyed everything for the most part, very straightforward stuff, bump contrast, balance the shots. Nice stuff.

The only thing I'd recommend would be doing a secondary on her skin and punching up in the pink a bit. She seems a bit yellow in the shots, and it looks slightly unnatural. The only reason I'm really even noticing it is that everything else works well, so don't get too discouraged, but give it a shot, see how it works out.

Back