• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

"Killing" my character.

This one's been bugging me... My preferred genre is almost always realistic fiction and I try to make the storyline as close to reality as possible. As a writer I'm finding myself stuck with one hell of a challenge.

For the story I have written, one of the pivotal plot points involves a murder. Here's the catch... the guy I'm "murdering" isn't supposed to actually die; the character comes back towards the end of the story and it's revealed that the whole thing was staged.

WAIT! That's not all... there's more. What makes this particular part difficult is that the "death" of the character has to be convincing enough to convict my lead of murder... without a body.
I already did research and I understand that's difficult as it is without Corpus Delicti, but that's why I'm trying hard to come up with something that works.

Now there CAN be traces from the victim: blood, hair, etc. to help indict the lead character, and there probably should be. BUT for the storyline, the victim character can not be killed.

So really, the question becomes; How do you kill someone and make the body untraceable, but still have enough evidence to call it murder?

The item was hidden by an inmate who died in the cell. It's hidden in such a way that you can't find it unless you know exactly where to look.

Actually, the corrupt guard is an important character. He's the one who sets the entire thing up :)

Again, I like the added conflict between the thieves. I'll have to paint a picture for that somehow... "standard" isn't my style tho. I like taking the normal and making something unexpected from it.

Ahhh, well, not only does that make sense, but I don't believe it's been done before. Nice.

Distinct pieces of jewelry have been used in real life.

True dat. :yes:

How the person is killed changes everything else...

But I'd feed him to critters. Pigs will get rid of the body - they'll eat it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Pickton

- Bill

He He I've always liked that one since I saw Snatch. Thanks.

Ahhh, well, not only does that make sense, but I don't believe it's been done before. Nice.

Thanks alot, and hopefully so.

Thanks for your feedback TI. This sounds like a great story idea.

I like my riff on your idea so much that I might write my own short film variation! :)

That I want to see! Would be pretty schweet and I'm happy to have inspired someone else's creativity!

Back