• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch The Brief-Case (Silent Short Film)

I did not like the soundtrack that went with the short.

Also the black and white era flickering was very off putting.

Regardless, you completed a short so well done on that accomplishment. :)

I just directed the film. I didn't know what was going on during the editing, it was meant to be a sound film but with the lack of dialogue the group decided on making it a silent film. I agree with the flickering but I didn't have a say in that or the soundtrack. Even a few shots that we're filmed were removed during editing but nothing's going to change so I have to deal with that.
But the entire thing was a huge learning experience. Like planning is really necessary so I know what to shoot (although they changed the ending in the second day and so most of my planning went out the window and that left me with trusting my intuition then). Knowing the schedule is also a great thing to know because what I thought was four days of filming was actually two days and we were very rushed to get things done. The crew was great I must say, I told them to do something, they listened and they tried to get what I had in mind so I got that going for me. I remember at one moment I thought a scene looked too dark and we didn't have any lighting so I wanted to light it with my phone's flash light but I was completely told against that even though I wanted to experiment but still wasn't allowed so what I learned from that moment was that I have to get my position and power noted as Director and to go with what I think is right. The main thing is too mostly plan, that is necessary.
But after this I hope to make more and better ones.

Scenes are always cut out, it happens.
But this flickering can be fixed .. tell them to dial it way back.

Maybe just a few at the start to establish the mood.

I've seen a lot of silent films and none of them are this flickery, they screwed it up in editing

Well it's made and done, nothing I can do or say about it now to except move on to the next project. Thanks for the feedback though.

I just directed the film. I didn't know what was going on during the editing ... I agree with the flickering but I didn't have a say in that or the soundtrack.

If you didn't even know what was going on during editing, let alone actually "direct" the editing, then by definition you did not direct the film! From what you have described, it seems like your film didn't actually have a Director.

The visual style (B&W, flickering) implies early film and the music implies more precisely the 1920's and yet we see computer keyboards, contemporary electrics, whiteboards, etc. There is no storytelling rationale for this contradiction and that's why the storytelling doesn't work.

... so what I learned from that moment was that I have to get my position and power noted as Director and to go with what I think is right. The main thing is too mostly plan, that is necessary.

I think what this film proves it how vitally important it is to have someone with a vision of what the end product is going to be and for that someone to follow that vision through the entire filmmaking process. That "someone" is of course the Director and is why films always have a Director. In other words, it's not just a case of getting your "position and power noted" by the rest of your filmmaking group, it's a case of everyone understanding what the role of Director actually is.

As you have learnt, planning is vital however, a plan is defined as "a detailed proposal for doing or achieving something". So before you can start planning you actually have to know what you are planning for, what it is you want to achieve, and this brings us back to the role of the Director and of creating a vision for the end product.

G

Back