steady cam as dolly?

I was thinking about this steady cam thing that I've heard about. It balances the camera while a person is moving... well, could it be used as a crane/dolly type device to get moving camera shots? any ideas? thanks all

A steadicam basically smooths out handheld shots.. so that could be tracking with someone in terrain that doesn't easily allow for dolly track (woods, rocky embankment, stairs), or other such things..

I wouldn't equate it to a crane at all though, the distance of travel available with a steady cam is much more limiting than that of a crane. But a simple DIY crane is pretty cheap/easy to build, so there's no reason not to use a crane if you have a script that it makes sense to use one in..

Here is a crane (But they come in all sizes)

sacha_cran_high.jpg

This is your basic dolly (this is obviously on a flat straight track, you can usually bend the track and add shims to adjust for ground uneveness), there is also such a thing as a field or doorway dolly:

11.jpg

This is a guy who oddly enough looks a lot like me using a glide cam pro model which is very similar to a steady cam

steady-cam.jpg

Here's our favorite guy with his "poor man's steadycam"

main.jpg

There are of course other models/brands in these levels but its important to see that all of these devices are different and accomplish different kinds of shots. If you try to use one for the other chances are it will be a comprimise if you can even pull it off.

In Chris Gore's book, he has an awesome idea:

............FAST

GOOD..............INEXPENSIVE

Any solution you can come up with for anything when in any phase of the movie making process (and really life in general) 99.9% will only have two of those three items to it. In other words, you can have a solution that is fast and good, but it won't be expensive.. try it with the other ones.

And although my device which I will be selling shortly does not have counterweights, it is possible to acheive a balanced shot, it certainly removes all camera shake, and is much less expensive than most other devices out there. It also allows you to shoot in very tight spaces and weighs very little.

How do you see the footage with the crane when it is that high ?

smiley_learn.gif
You run a cable from the camera to a monitor of some kind at the base.

There's also the problem of focusing & zooming & starting/stopping the camera. For that you need some kind of remote connection; wireless via infrared controller, or wired via the LANC jack on the camera.

_______

I'll post a pic of my newest toy later tonight. "The Wheel". It's a very interesting device. It's another stabiliser-esque thing.

Back