• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Check out my YouTube channel!

Hey guys, my name is Jared Johnson and I am an aspiring filmmaker. I have a YouTube channel called Jared Elijah Films and I am trying to obtain more exposure and grow my fan base. Whenever you have a chance, please check out my channel and give me feedback whether you like it or not! Feedback is always helpful and I will take it to make myself better! Thanks again for reading this post!

http://www.youtube.com/c/JaredElijahJohnson

Hi Jared, my name's Jonathan.
Glad to see someone actually promoting themselves in the Promotional section. Most people don't seem to notice that when they join here. So props to you there.

I took a look at most of your videos, and I have to say they're definitely on the rough side. Much less filmmaking, and more like documented Larping. But I think your most obvious missing piece at the moment is an actual story to tell.

You seem to still be at that point where you just want to see you and your friends shoot stuff and do cool things on camera, rather than wanting to tell a dramatic or thrilling story that you wrote or scripted. It's actually almost exactly the same thing as what I was doing nearly 6-8 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tDxDqUwxZM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml-PtrOpSVk

And that's okay. It's always fun to do that with friends even if not many other people may enjoy watching it as well. But if you want to advance, improve, and go anywhere with filmmaking, then you have to start coming up with concepts, probably story-boarding them, and presenting them in a stylistic fashion.

Most of your videos right now are pretty short, most of them are kind of hard to tell apart due to the similiar subject matter and visuals, and only one of them I found seriously funny: "Backyard Fight."

My best advice for your next major video: come up with a story to tell in 5-10 minutes, give it a beginning, a middle, and an end, see if you can do it without using any guns or light sabors, and above all, think carefully about each of your shots and why that moment should be shot that way.

Best of luck to ya.

Thanks so much for the advice! I really do appreciate it. I am actually in the middle of pre-production for a horror movie. I have just finished the script, and planning on scouting locations soon. The videos I have done in the past are just (like you said) making videos with friends and having fun, but right now I am trying to tell stories and keep the audience "on the edge of their seat". I am trying to get better every day and improve my filmmaking "skills". Thanks to people like you, I can focus on what to get better at and improve every day! So thanks again for replying and taking notice of my channel. It really means a lot.

Back