• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Dear Aussies, Can You Help a Guy Out?

Dear Aussies,

Thanks for reading.

I'm trying to write a post-apocalypse screenplay. I think the disaster part of the story will take place in the Southern Hemisphere. So I think I'd like to include a scene in Australia, you know, to establish what happened and where.

So what if I set that scene in Sydney? Would you groan and roll your eyes if you saw that in a movie? Or is Sydney, with its internationally recognizable landmarks, the natural spot? Or, would you, as an Aussie, be more pleased to see another city or spot featured?

Also, sorry if this sounds stupid, but do you guys have what we yanks call "rush hour." I mean, we call the time at the end of the work day (for many people) and the chaotic commute home "rush hour." I feel like a child asking this, but I'm ignorant and don't want to assume.

And on that subject, do most Aussies drive their own car? Or do most of you use public transportation for you daily commute?

Any help is much appreciated. :)

hi richy

i am based in melbourne in oz and there is a classic end of the world film set in melbourne
filmed in 1959 and directed by stanley kramer called on the beach.

ava gardnar one of the stars is reputed to have said it was the perfect place to film the end of the world. (she meant it not in a nice way).

it was remade as a two part mini series in the 90's imo it came nowhere near the original

yes we do have rush hour from about 7am to 10 and 4pm to 7 the roads and freeways are really clogged up.

most households have two cars and a lot of people use the train/tram and buses to get around.

it would be a great idea to set it in sydney or melbourne, when it gets green lighted you would
get to spend some time in the greatest place with the best film crews in the world (australia).

cheers mate,

darty
(gaffer to the stars)

So what if I set that scene in Sydney? Would you groan and roll your eyes if you saw that in a movie? Or is Sydney, with its internationally recognizable landmarks, the natural spot? Or, would you, as an Aussie, be more pleased to see another city or spot featured?

Do you roll your eyes when you see a scene that was shot in NY? No, it's fine.

Also, sorry if this sounds stupid, but do you guys have what we yanks call "rush hour." I mean, we call the time at the end of the work day (for many people) and the chaotic commute home "rush hour." I feel like a child asking this, but I'm ignorant and don't want to assume.

That's almost like asking if LA has rush hour? Isn't it more like 3 hours? It depends on where you live and how much traffic there is, but yes, there is rush hour.

And on that subject, do most Aussies drive their own car? Or do most of you use public transportation for you daily commute?

It depends on where you live. Most do own a car, though there are some areas (like inner city of Sydney) where parking a car costs a lot. Usually in those areas public transport is decent.

The only other viable form of transport is Kangaroo ;)

Riding_61a695_1930724.jpg

Back