A bit confused with regards to 16mm cameras.

Right. So I would like to buy a 16mm camera which can hold at least 200ft of film, can be used as a sync sound camera and which has a motor.

What are my options here? I read that just having a quiet motor doesn't mean you can do sync sound. You need a crystal sync motor (expensive!) unless you want a headache while editing later.

Would a quiet motor, mini disc recorder and clapper not suffice?

I have been looking on Ebay and I see a lot of K3s and Bolex cameras. Non of these seem to fit the bill.

Would an Arri ST be ok for sound sync or do I have to buy a ton more expensive and rare add ons?

tia

If you don't have crystal sync your motor will drift. Imagine a watch without a crystal. It would not keep time.

Right but I don't think any indie purchasable 16mm comes with a crystal sync motor as standard.

So all these cameras are useless for audio sync until you have forked out the extra for a new motor? I mean did Kevin Smith have his hands on a crystal sync motor for Clerks?

Hmmmm. From the looks of it a crystal sync motor would cost more than the camera.

I guess the audio capturing hardware also has to have a crystal as well? Seems very expensive :D

From what i've heard, Kevin Smith did not have a very quiet motor, and during the production of Clerks worked around this problem by having several leather jackets wrapped around the camera to reduce the noise.

now THAT'S indie!

Im thinking about getting a CP16r.

Is the quality of these good? I have watched some sample footage filmed using one and it didn't seem that great. Some of the sample footage from H16s looked better.

Is the standard lens on these cameras good?

Thanks.

It's a good camera. It was a news/documentary camera, so it is native crystal sync. You can put whatever lens you want on it.

What do people mean when they say the CP16r smears? Specifically smearing the highlights? Is this true and if I buy a CP16r can I expect the camera to need 'repairs' to fix the smearing problem?

Also I keep seeing good CP16r setups from Ebay US for around $1000 to $1200. In the UK it is hard to find a decent CP16r outfit and unless it is off Ebay the prices seem stupid, like $5000.

Is it likely I can find a good one in the UK for a decent price, or am I destined to buy one from the US and get it shipped?

Apart from Ebay and VERY expensive internet retailers, is there anywhere in the UK that is worth checking as well? I have been to a few local 2nd hand camera shops but they only have 8mm cameras and have not heard of anyone selling any 16mm equipment.

Thanks.

PS: Is the Arri 16ST ready to shoot sync sound from stock? Or does a crystal sync unit have to be purchased as well?

I, too, have read about this “smear” but in all the years I’ve
owned and used the CP 16R and the thousands of feet of film I have
shot with it, I’ve never had a problem. I suspect that people have
not loaded it properly and then blame the camera. That camera was
built for news gathering and is solid.

I’ve never used the ST. I recall it was a news gathering camera so
it might be a sync camera - but you’ll have to do more research to
find out for certain. I think the first 16mm sync Arri was the was
the BL. But this is just from memory reading Lenny Lipton’s book
way back when I was a teen. It’s on the shelf in my editing room,
but I’m sitting in a hotel right now.

The oldest Arri I have used is the SR.

Check http://www.filmcamerakit.com/

There's supposedly one out of three that will smear. The original "bowtie" shutter angle of 156 degrees model. The after-market modified shutter to 135 degrees will not, and the later released "half-moon" 170 degree shutter angel model will not.

Back