• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Bodylanguage. When it’s overused?

Body language is one way to show the character’s feeling. But how many describing of it is ok? (You can overuse everything.) What’s your opinion?

A good writer will know. A good actor will know as well and sometimes shrug instead of saying "I don't know," or both, etc. You can't really describe overuse, it's more of a feel, and what is natural. Rehearsals can play a huge role in seeing what works.

I'd call that more of an action but sure. To me body language is reading someone's more subtle actions or non-actions.

Banging a fist is not what I would call body language, body language would be, a man sitting at a table and describing his anger by his posture and facial expressions before he exhibits anger (bangs fist).

He stiffens. His facial muscles tighten, his brow wrinkles, and his eyes narrow... then, he bangs his fist.

Or seeing somebody across the dance floor who you can tell is nervous and insecure by describing body language.

Arms crossed, slouching can convey boredom or disinterest. Etc.

It's really semantics just write the actions you need in your story.

But if a man throws a bottle through a window because he is angry, that is not body language just because he did not "say" he was angry. Body language would occur before the action.

Writing "Jim Carrey" level body language into the script, my opinion is that would be over the top.

But writing in a simple shrug of the sholders, perplexed look or someone pointing, dragging their feet or skipping down the street, I think is ok.

Back