DIY Reflector Stand

Looks like a lot of work, when you can just use a c-stand with an arm, bounce board, and some clamps -- or a PA holding the b-board, lol. I think sometimes the guerrilla solutions are overkill.

oakstreetphotovideo said:
Unless there is a stiff breeze tugging at the reflector. Then nothing is overkill, except maybe, a 3 ton rhinoceros.
What I meant was sometimes it's easier to go with convention. There's no need to build a car from scratch when you can buy one already made. That sort of thing. Sometimes you don't save any money and you just lose time.

On that point, I agree. Even when you can save a little money, it's not worth it. e.g. a cheap, commercial lightstand is far more compact, sturdy, and adjustable than my homemade light stands. I think the lightstands were $20 each. If I hadn't already made three light stands, I'd buy 3 more.

On the other hand, I'm in love with my camera crane/jib that I made out of spare parts. Those are relatively expensive to buy, and I just happened to have most of what I needed to build something that works great for me.

I, also am a big DIY fan, but as I get into this more, I find less time to tinker (hobby + job + family = no time). And for not that much more on some things, I'll just go buy them...light stands are one of those things...but my rails I'm building cost me $20...cheapest I've found are $200ish. I'll use my time on that cost savings. :) I also have a home made crane, just added a bearing to the panning joint for smoother moves.

Cool link! Thanks for passing it on. I've used a car window reflector a few times. It was double sided with one side gold and the other silver. Some of the simplest things can be used for your productions! :D

our last shoot, I got tons of use out of a piece of white foamcore with oneside spray painted silver...had another with a gold spray on one side. the silver got more use than any other piece of my lighting kit.

the aluminum foil is cumbersome and noisy...however, I've read of someone stretching silver fabric over a piece of foam core and clamping it...ths would probably be a better solution than my spray paint...but the silver spray paint worked wonderfully!

Back