How do you find festivals to enter?

How do you guys go about submitting to festivals?

I will be finishing a short narrative (I believe it will be around 10 min) in March this year...

I would like to submit it to some festivals. I'm a student, so low to no entry fees would be best. Any suggestions or tips on looking??

There are so many to choose from it's hard to tell easily if they're going to like you're submission. I mean yes they accept shorts, and they like international, but they might have a history of liking a particular genre better, which I won't know till I research heaps.... But there are so many to do that research.

There's no magic bullet. Look at a combo of their criteria, what movies they've taken in past years, how the timing and location fit with your schedule and geography , then cross your fingers and hope. Also figure out how much you're willing to spend and set a budgetary limit for yourself, so it doesn't get away from you.

To lead on from what I said, because I'd like to hear other responses (hence my first post)
I generally search for local ones. There aren't that many to choose from if you go local, like within 100km local

Which film fests do you follow news about, or even go to?

What films, similar in genre & production level to yours, have been playing at those festivals the past year or two? How about those similar films at other fests?

While you mention your film is not yet finished, how much of a presence or fanbase have you already developed for your film?

Why do you want to enter filmfests? :hmm:

Just some curious q's. :bag:

I recommend that you stick primarily to fests that are nearby, and that you would actually travel to. As a general rule, getting a short into a film fest will not further your career; they're pretty much just for fun. So, enter the ones that you would have fun attending. :)

I'm submitting to festivals right now and how I've tackled mine is to submit to the big, top-tier festivals first. Sure the chance of actually getting in is pretty small, but you never know until you submit. Then, submit to the middle type festivals and local festivals around your area. The ones you can actually attend and actually have a bigger chance of getting in.

Those being said, submitting to festivals is not cheap AT ALL. Most of the times, submitting to fests are more expensive than making the actual film. So make sure you budget your money and choose the festivals wisely.

Good luck!

Which film fests do you follow news about, or even go to?

What films, similar in genre & production level to yours, have been playing at those festivals the past year or two? How about those similar films at other fests?

While you mention your film is not yet finished, how much of a presence or fanbase have you already developed for your film?

Why do you want to enter filmfests? :hmm:

Just some curious q's. :bag:

I have only really heard or looked deeply into some local fests. I've been to a couple around me (Kansas City, MO) Such as the KIFF, KCFilm Fest, and 48 Film Project. I would definitely like to know more about festivals.

I've only been to a few festivals.. :blush: It is my senior thesis film for school, and honestly I'm just now starting to branch out into my filmmaking community - as apposed to staying around my campus community..

I want to enter some festivals to see what people are thinking of my work and to get other filmmakers to see my film, get feed back and hopefully an award or two. I also want to enter it into some fests to try and get myself out there, talking with filmmakers/seeing more short films.

As far as a fanbase - I have set up a small facebook page, that has gotten 75 likes (probably not much of a fanbase but I would still like to get it out there)

Any suggestions Zensteve?

I'm submitting to festivals right now and how I've tackled mine is to submit to the big, top-tier festivals first.

I'm not trying to be confrontational, just genuinely curious about how lo/no budget filmmakers consider and deal with the possibility of being accepted in one of the top-tier festivals. Do you have a plan or budget for creating the required exhibition version or do you just ignore the whole issue and cross that bridge when/if you come to it?

G

How do you guys go about submitting to festivals?

I will be finishing a short narrative (I believe it will be around 10 min) in March this year...

I would like to submit it to some festivals. I'm a student, so low to no entry fees would be best. Any suggestions or tips on looking??

go to withoutabox.com and choose what festival u would like to enter base on your project. you have to pay entry fees on this site

I'm not trying to be confrontational, just genuinely curious about how lo/no budget filmmakers consider and deal with the possibility of being accepted in one of the top-tier festivals. Do you have a plan or budget for creating the required exhibition version or do you just ignore the whole issue and cross that bridge when/if you come to it?

G

Of the one or two higher level which I've entered (but not had screened) for me it was a bridge I would cross when it happened. That being said I've looked around at where I would get it converted and in the past briefly at the price.

As far as getting a proper 5.1 mix or something that you would look out for APE, I had not even considered this in the past and it has only just been added to my list of things to do after reading your (and acloves) posts in recent months. I have not entered a large festival for over a year

Back