Sundance? REALLY?

I need somebody to explain me... please...

How did this crap get into sundance film festival???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVTw2w6MiFw

really????:no::no::no::no:

I think it was at least a minute too long. They could have edited down. I got impatient and jumped to the ending. It could be a minute long video probably. For a while I thought it was big foot taking a dump in a tree thing.

I guess it's experimental like pointed, out and not all experimental movies have to have a narrative or even a point, I guess. But... how would a film festival judge it then? If there is no bad in experimental, then how do you know what's good?

Last edited:
I'm holding my position that any person in their right mind could make a film 3x this good. Mixing a pretentious film style with the stupidity of youtube isn't my definition of innovative or controversial. I could write something far more controversial in 2 minutes, but being as offensive as possible is a very lowbrow way to attract attention, and it's easy to do better.

Just because IQ and attention span have plummeted to the level where people think "keeping up with the kardashians" is a valid work of art, doesn't make it so. This year, Dancing with the Stars surely got more views than Citizen Kane, but that doesn't mean it's a more important, or better in any way. Sundance has a lot of name recognition, but that doesn't mean I let it do my thinking for me.

i was always under assumption that sundance was THE film festival.. every filmmakers book that ive read talks about how carefully each film is examined by a programmer.. Sundance was called Best of the Best, Big Khahuna of festivals, with slim to none chances of a novice filmmaker getting in.
Having your film shown at Sundance means that you re top notch, and your unique film have been noticed out of thousands of submittions.. and by 'unique' i dont mean "sasquach gives birth of a tree, and later washes her vagina with river water", but human emotions, real experiences, where the viewer can say "that was AWESOME".

Am i simply putting sundance on a pedestal? Or maybe its just one unique joke video that slipped into their programming? i guess u can say i dont have sense of humor, because i dont get the joke at all..

Sundance is an excellent marker for independent films.

Obviously there are problems and some films will slip under the radar but the majority of films that get rejected by Sundance deserve to get rejected. Independent is not synonymous with good. The good ones get into Sundance (and other festivals) and get some sort of release, the rest go in the trash. Most independent films are not very good at all.

If I ever got a film into Sundance it'd be an amazing experience and opportunity. I understand that a lot of filmmakers resent their selection process but they need to remember that there are other film festivals available and that Sundance is noted for being the top level of independent movies. I think sniffing at it is a tad churlish.

Back