Combining 24 fps. and 30fps.

I am shooting 1080@24fps D7000 footage.If I should want to add footage shot at 1080@30fps. and 60fps. shot with a GoPro camera.How do you mix the frame rates so the final is 24fps.?

Well, depending on how you export it - it varies from nominal to unwatchable. There are a lot of tutorials, special plug ins, or even unique software that help with frame rate conversions. Google is thy friend.

What is the difference in the final quality with the two mixed?Any?

I have a similar conundrum and will let you know about the finished product. At the moment, we can mix the two with zero major issues. To be precise, I have much bigger issues as there are bigger technical problems with the footage and in addition, my editor is absolutely amazing and has just been snapped up on a paid gig... grrrrr.... the lure of money over artistry... Why can't he simply starve and do everything for free?

In fact, my biggest issue is that when I met my editor, DoP and lead actress, all of them were amateurs. Now, the editor is getting paid, the DoP is a fully fledged professional who is getting some great gigs and my lead actress who I hoped to use elsewhere has been cast on a major piece of work. So for the next short (in Feb of next year), I have to replace them all.

We had a VG10 shooting at 30 and a 7D shooting at 25 so everything will be combined at 25. It's no biggie, just a conversion and at this stage I think it will look OK. Philip Bloom demonstrates a conversion in FCP 7 which is what we are using to convert the footage and it looks fine on the small screen.

http://philipbloom.net/2009/05/30/how-to-convert-canon-5dmk2-footage-from-30p-to-24p/ - Philip Bloom's instructions on how to convert 30 to 24.

Last edited:
I've always heard there aren't any good ways to convert 30p to 24p -- that it never works.

That is someone's opinion, not an objective truth.

Can't you merely have some clips play at 30 and some at 24?

You can, but the looks are so jarring and different, especially side by side. It's also hell to edit because timelines have to be either 30 or 25 or 24. One side is getting converted. Better to convert the footage to the native framerate BEFORE editing, otherwise you'll be rendered 50% of the footage at all times.

Are there any 30-24 converters that use the new optical flow technology to get smooth, accurate results? I can't think of any other way to do this framerate conversion and get correct-looking motion.

Yikes. I don't know how to tackle this.

I did just notice that Premiere 5.5 has the option of it trying to track visual elements when changing framerates, but it doesn't do the best job ever.

Were you wanting to upsample the 24fps to 30fps, or downsample the 30fps to 24fps?

From 30 to 24fps is possible.
Use optical flow (in FCP), twixtor or After Effects (don't recall the name of the effect/tool: it has 2 different settings: crossfade and pixel-something; it's the pixel-something you want) to export the 30fps footage as 24fps.
Rendering could take some time and with very fast movement there can be artefacts.

It's up to you whether you edit first and convert and replace the parts you need, or that you convert all your footage first.

(Last year I had to make a NTSC DVD from 25fps footage:
I used After Effects. The crossfades were terrible with pixel-tracking, so crossfades were treated with the fade-setting. The result was really sharp and a happy client ;) )

I feel like we're making much ado over nothing. 30FPS dropped into a 24FPS timeline is just fine. Filmmakers might notice that something is off. Non-filmmakers won't know the difference. Go on with your bad self and mix those formats!

I would imagine a good workaround would be to first use the editing software to import the GoPro footage of 60 fps or 30 fps and render them as 1080p 24 fps files. Then, import the newly created 24 fps files into your project with 24 fps footage.

That should make all the footage for the final cut work together smoother with less issues.

I feel like we're making much ado over nothing. 30FPS dropped into a 24FPS timeline is just fine. Filmmakers might notice that something is off. Non-filmmakers won't know the difference. Go on with your bad self and mix those formats!

This seems to be the case, as I did this with someone's footage that I was working on once. The timeline itself was 30fps, but then when exporting, I converted to 24, and people didn't seem to notice anything strange about it when I asked them.

Back