Fake download sites for my unreleased film?

Hi,

I'm a first time filmmaker and I produced a sci-fi action called Broken Spirits. (More info is on the web site if it helps: http://www.brokenspiritsfilm.com/ )

Anyway, periodically I check to make sure none of my pre-screeners have been put online or anything. As far as I can tell, they have not, BUT there's about 20 websites that CLAIM to have the movie online!

It looks like what these fake sites did is scrub IMDB for the information (Title, description, length) and create a fake page that pretends to have a streaming link.

What can I do about these web sites? I can't even test them all to see if they are fake -- often I end up just chasing links to dubious web sites that link to yet more dubious sites. Why do they even exist? Has anyone else had this problem? Does this just happen to everyone who lists a film on IMDB? Any help/info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Any form of media that can be copied will have at least one of these fake sites offering links that don't exist. The reason is, as you say, to get would-be pirates to follow dubious links that either infect a PC with malware or force the visitor to complete multiple vague marketing tasks that either exposes personal info or earns a commission for the site.

I wouldn't worry about it :)

Back