• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Looking for Feedback - CGI Composite Shot

Hi everyone.

So I have yet to post anything specific that I've wanted some feedback on from the forum here, but today is the day that I would like some honest criticism and feedback comments.

Below I have an image here I just saved from a shot from my film, "Bill & Maggie's Intergalactic Taxi Service." The project is almost half-way through post-production, but this is the first shot in a few months that I have gotten relatively to completion, and I'm rather happy with the results.

But obviously, all I've had to go on so far is my own personal opinion, and so I would like some 3rd party critiques of this image. Does anything stick out as odd to you? Are the colors weird or awkward, and for what reason? Does anything still look glaringly fake?

bill_and_maggies_taxi_service___screenshot_22_by_filmmakerj-d94gkap.png

Now just for some context, I'm using Blender to model the 3D objects here, and then I'm using Element 3D from Video Copilot to composite these OBJ models into After Effects: which means I believe this is using GLSL shading rather than a more believable renderer that can handle realistic bounce lighting. I chose to go this route because I wanted to avoid the enormously long render times it would take to get this footage processed through Blender's Cycles renderer, and so that I could have full control over the models in an already shaded and lit environment. So just in case that may contribute to some specific criticism as far as lighting and rendering goes, that should give some context as to why it may look a certain way.

For a full HD version, check out the link here: [url]http://orig05.deviantart.net/99f1/f/2015/218/5/4/545319d394edeab08b5942dd471ac99f-d94gkap.jpg[/URL]

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Last edited:
I haven't done any compositing myself, but I can give you my layman's feedback.

It looks good to me. Nothing sticks out as fake. Nice looking picture.

I think it looks pretty good also. First thing I looked for was shadows and for the most part they look pretty decent. Looks sortof steam punk which is kool. (BTW, looks like you are shooting 4/3. Why not do 16x9?

I think it looks pretty good also. First thing I looked for was shadows and for the most part they look pretty decent. Looks sortof steam punk which is kool. (BTW, looks like you are shooting 4/3. Why not do 16x9?

Oh I am. Actually I'm doing both.
Just like The Grand Budapest Hotel, my film switches from 4:3 to 16:9 once the characters venture out into outer-space, and then it switches back once we return to Earth.

And yes, the film is a "Sci-fi, Fantasy, Steampunk, Adventure in Space." That's what I've taken to labeling its genre. :D

Back