how do yall write your scripts

I think u may have to be a little bit more specific than that.

If you want to learn more about the art of screenwriting I'd recommend The Screenwriter's Bible by David Trottier

For me I get an idea and just go for it. The first draft is ALWAYS from the heart, then the others that follow add in all the tech. stuff and whatever else pops in my head. At least that's how it is for me, first draft is my skeleton from which everything else is based on.

I agree with Ano. I bought The Screenwriters Bible and it really elped me out alot. I also have Screenwriting for Dummies which was a pretty good resource as well.

Most people write (or create, or imagine, whatever) their characters first, and then build a story and plot around that. That is the "right" way to do it. I actually plan out my setting/plot out first and then create characters.

As Robert Rodriguez puts it in his 10 minute film school:
"Start with a screenplay. Does anybody here know how to write? No - good. Everyone else writes the same way. Start writing your way. That makes you unique. You can take writing classes, that's good, but don't bother to go to film school or you'll be making films like everybody else. We want to see your film."

I think this is great advice from the creator of El Mariachi!!

I usually come up with a main character first and then write out a plot outline of what's going to happen in the movie. Then I sit down and write until the outline is in script form (and that usually entails filling in some blanks, etc. that come up along the way). I don't usually put a whole lot of thought into structure at that point. To an extent, the structure comes naturally.

And then I forget about it for a while and come back to it with fresh eyes some time later to go through it again and change whatever I think needs to be changed.

I write a script the normal good old way, with a pencil and paper. It's true...long hand is still the best. I don't type up the script till atleast the 2nd draft. :) That's just the way I work.

My 2 cents.

I'm a terrible writer. I mostly work all over the place, write different parts of the story & try desperatly to peice them together. Some of mine are okay... not great.

& I'll write with anything...

I had an idea when I was at this cafe with my friend & I couldn't find a pen so I wrote it down wth her eyeliner...

Note: I had to buy her a new one because I apparently broke it. Note also that eyeliner is cheap, & makes a good writing tool. When extremly desperate.

If you're after a smaller book than the Screenwriter's Bible then I'd highly recommend Teach Yourself Screenwriting by Raymond G. Frensham

It's very compact but full of the lots of information including movie examples. It'll tell you all you need about structure and plotting and much much more.

i write pretty weird i will imagin a sceen in my head and then just make up a diolauge for it,and then it all comes to gather for me.but the characters always coem first ,like i imagin the way they look and everything about them

sorry about the spelling.

For me it's different, I write like J.D. and the characters just develop as I write, it's like I've just met someone and I'm getting to know them, even though I'm making them up. I just write and write without thinking about what's good and what's not, and edit and piece together and add stuff later.

What I do is write down what I know I want to happen. Sometimes it's the end, sometimes it's the beginning, sometimes it could be anything in between. I always write things when they come to me, which is why I have so many scripts going on at the same time. One idea could be great for one film, but horrible for another, you know.

Sometimes the idea comes from a song, other times from a phrase, still others from some strange place like a bumper sticker or business name. Sometimes the story comes to me first, sometimes the characters. Sometimes I realize the opening scene first, sometimes it's the closing scene, rarely it's a scene from Act 2, but it's happened. I don't have a definite way of writing, except that I begin and let the characters tell me the story. I try to guide them to a certain place, but I don't always get them there.

Poke

I have spent a fair amount of time reading books about screenplay writing (actually writing fiction in general). I found a _very_ useful strategy for writing your screenplay which is entirely based upon recursive structures. I can write something up and post it in the articles section if there is anyone is interested.

Usually, I just add parts as I think of them. I, also, tend to write in my own format (see below).

(Steve wakes up. After taking a shower and shaving, he goes into the kitchen and gets a glass of tea, then returns to his bedroom and boots up his computer. A fuzzy, little grue appears out of thin air, next to him.)
Grue: What's up?
Steve: I'm bored.
Grue: It's too early to be bored.
Steve (yawning): I know.
(Lightning strikes and knocks out the power. The lights go out. A mysterious, disembodied voice is heard.)
Voice: It's too dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Steve: Ducky.
Grue: Here, hold this.
Steve: What is it?
Grue: Flavoring.

Do it, or so help me God I will hunt you down and make you!!!

Done and up as I mentioned in another thread. Thought I may as well post it here too though :). Still needs some work though

Back