• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

cgi Is this Spaceship Fly By Properly Proportioned?

I’d be more concerned with how the ship was shot. It’s soft and fuzzy/grainy. Between that and the shake in the ship (not sure how you added that, but it’s distracting), it looks very much like a miniature that has been shot up close and out of focus. The shake doesn’t move naturally against the background, so it almost looks like handheld shake rather than turbulence.

That, and the key is losing entire sections of the crystals.

I’d be more concerned with how the ship was shot. It’s soft and fuzzy/grainy. Between that and the shake in the ship (not sure how you added that, but it’s distracting), it looks very much like a miniature that has been shot up close and out of focus. The shake doesn’t move naturally against the background, so it almost looks like handheld shake rather than turbulence.

That, and the key is losing entire sections of the crystals.

As someone else pointed out in an earlier post, shooting a model that is both clear, crystal, and metallic brass is no easy matter and rear screen projection was recommended. Some shots were shot that way. Others were shot with blue screen and others greenscreen. No worries about some camera shake in a planet's atmosphere. Ever hear of air resistance? A little shake makes it work.

That's no longer the shot used with the new stock footage, the background for the fly by is different as well. You guys are a week late. I also got all of the crystals to show with the new rendering. AcusticAl was right. I actually had to slightly blur the ship for all of us to it's parts to show. But, it's much clearer than this rendering. Computer is busy now rendering and uploading a revised trailer for the film to YouTube. I should be able to upload a revised clip for this tomorrow night.

Back