I hated 'IT'? Is that OK?

With the impending release of the DVD/Blu-Ray, my attention has once again been turned back on to ‘IT’.

Personally, I hated it. I felt that the CGI was awful and the repetitive attempts at almost-identical jump scares got very boring, very quickly. Most reviews I’ve read seem to state the same. Then they heap praise onto the young cast. That praise is certainly well deserved, but, to my mind, a few good performances from the cast does not make it a good film. Especially as it is a horror film. If your monster isn’t scary, what’s the point?

Furthermore, I found several problems within the story that made me think that what I was seeing was just a case of bad writing. For example - What was the point in the Henry Bowers character? The version presented here actually ended up posing no threat what-so-ever. And why didn’t Ben get the girl? Why even have his crush on Bev be a thing? Of course, anyone who knows the full story, knows that he does indeed get the girl. But not in this version. In this version it’s just left open, and the fat kid loses. That just strikes me as bad storytelling. Also, how is even possible that the losers, when confronted by a some horrifying monster from another dimension, just seemingly decided to no longer be scared? It doesn’t make sense. I’m sure the filmmakers didn’t want to go down the silver bullet route, as that wouldn’t really work with today’s audiences either. But to just have them decide not to be scared... It just doesn’t work like that. Or does it?

There were some elements of the film that were great. Again, the kids did an incredible job. But overall, I thought the film was horrible.

Without the adult element, I just don’t think this story could possibly work. And then, a lot of people seem to be defending the film by stating that all this film does is set up Chapter 2. Am I really alone in thinking that this film (as in, Chapter 1) is supposed to stand on its own two legs? Am I really the only one who thinks it doesn’t?

And if I am the only one, why do people like it so much? How can they look past the bad CGI, the poor writing and over-use of jump scares? Am I missing something? Is that what makes a good horror film nowadays?

I too thought that the characters were very unrealistic.
That little girl had more courage than Aragorn and people need years of exposure therapy to overcome their fears

Anyone with a phobia will probably roll their eyes at ITs narrative

Last edited:
Yes, don't worry, it's okay not to like a film that others do.
People have different tastes & film knowledge experience.
The more great movies you've seen, the more it takes to really impress you.
That's why I'm always skeptical about reviews & hype for new movies.
It's part of the marketing to get your money.

I know it's ok to have differdnt opinions of films. People's tastes are different.

I suppose the real point of my post is 'what's wrong with everyone else?'. It strikes me that IT is a bad film. Perhaps that is just my opinion. But I just don't understand why a film with as many issues as IT has gets a free pass. But then, perhaps they aren't issues at all. Perhaps it was a good film, but I just didn't 'get it'.

I suppose the real point of my post is 'what's wrong with everyone else?'.

Nothing is wrong with everyone else. You point out that peoples
tastes in movies are different. It is not wrong to like a movie you
didn't like. It strikes YOU as a bad film – an opinion that is acceptable.

I guess I'm not understanding you. There are dozens of movies that
I dislike but I never think something is wrong with people who like
them. There are dozens of movies I think are bad, even terrible, that
others love. I never think I'm the one who doesn't “get it” - I just
think people have different tastes.

Why do you think there is something wrong with people who like “IT”?

It strikes YOU as a bad film – an opinion that is acceptable.

Correct. And I am fully aware that it is an opinion. But I guess my question is more about how/why people's tastes can vary so wildly that one person (or in the case of IT, what seems to be the majority of people) can overlook things such as horrible CGI and nonsensical stories and still enjoy a film. To my mind, the fact that the CGI was awful is exactly that - a fact. I don't believe that to be my opinion. If there are people who believe that the CGI in IT was good, that's absolutely fine, but I really do find that hard to believe.

Out of curiosity Rik, what was your opinion of IT?

Correct. And I am fully aware that it is an opinion. But I guess my question is more about how/why people's tastes can vary so wildly that one person (or in the case of IT, what seems to be the majority of people) can overlook things such as horrible CGI and nonsensical stories and still enjoy a film. To my mind, the fact that the CGI was awful is exactly that - a fact. I don't believe that to be my opinion. If there are people who believe that the CGI in IT was good, that's absolutely fine, but I really do find that hard to believe.

dude some people can't even tell the difference between SD and HD television
forget about good and bad CGI defining a story

Good points, directorik & sfoster.
mad_hatter, as you've found out, there really are people who don't care as much as you about bad CGI or a story that makes complete sense. Maybe they don't even notice or care about details like that. A movie's just something to pass the time. They don't need to believe in it & it doesn't have to make total sense to them as much as you.
As you said, they seem to be the majority. You don't have to understand it, maybe you just have to accept it.

How can peoples tastes vary so much? The answer is probably
complicated. I'm no psychologist. I really dislike some very
popular movies. And there are several “hated” movies that I
genuinely like. I love, and I mean really love, musicals. I know
many people who just can't stand them. At all. How can people
so dislike something I love? Hell, MY tastes vary wildly. I don't
like romantic comedies but then there are a few that I adore.

I overlook things like horrible CGI all the time. It's a developing
art. Sometimes it jars me out of a scene but I end up liking the
movie. Why I feel that way and you don't is... above my pay
grade.

Sometimes I even forgive even story issues. Not often, but sometimes
even if some things don't make sense I can still enjoy a movie.
Again, I can't begin to explain why my tastes differ from yours.
And I don't even think about it. It doesn't mean there's something
wrong with me.

I liked it. I don't like jump scares and there were too many. I didn't
like that Pennywise looked “scary” - he should be a comforting clown
that kids are comfortable approaching. To me THAT is scary. some
of the CGI was pretty bad but not bad enough to cause me to dislike
the entire movie. It would have been more powerful to use far less.
But the characters were wonderful (as were the actors) and there was
a nice sense of dread and of the place in time. To me simply deciding
not to be scared is a powerful thing. And not that simple but necessary
to defeat IT.

I guess the major difference is I understand why you didn't like it and
don't feel you are missing something where you can't understand why
anyone could like it because of its many flaws.

Different tastes.

Back