• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to show this on screen?

I am writing a horror/thriller and in one of the scenes, the protagonist gets a call on his mobile phone from his own number. How can I show this on screen without the character actually speaking out "this is my number"? There are no other characters in the scene. Only one actor who gets the call.

Thanks in advance for any ideas

I save my own number as "Me" in my phone in case I have one of those exhausted days where what I believe is my number actually isn't and I need to check. You don't really need to know your own number these days, after all, as you can just call or text it to anybody whenever you need to. So maybe it just flashes up a caller ID of "Me".

On an iPhone if you have a photo associated with a contact, that photo comes up full screen with an incoming call. You also have a contact entry for yourself with an associated photo so that you can share it with others. So if a call came in from your own number it would display your name and photo on the incoming call screen.

Thanks guys. I will go with showing "Me" as the name but not the picture. Cause I have to reveal at a later point in the movie that there is a body double roaming in the house

If I saw 'Me' come up on a phone in the movie, I wouldn't assume the character is being called by his own number though. I would assume somebody else was calling him from a different number, that was just assigned the name 'Me', in his phone. That's just how I would interpret it though.

Back