• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

If a character speaks in scrambled voice, how should I write it?

Basically in my script, the characters recieve ransom videos from a masked man on camera, and the masked man speaks in a scrambled voice. Should I write (SCRAMBLED VOICE), in parenthesis, next to the masked character's name, in order to describe that, or no?

I think you mean altered, not scrambled. Scrambled means you wouldn't be able to understand it. Altered means it's been changed to mask their real voice.

Nothing comes to mind but you should look up produced screenplays that have phone conversations or scenes with video where the voice is altered.

What movies have you seen that have people speaking in altered voices?

"I'm Batman..."
The disguised voice isn't in the "Batman Begins" script. The first time he speaks as Batman it's just BATMAN and then the dialogue with no instructions as to change of voice.

Phelan scrambles back in his seat, whimpering...

BATMAN
You have eaten well... As Gotham
has starved.

Batman’s eyes stare out of the black cowl at Phelan.

BATMAN (CONT’D)
This changes tonight.

Batman SHOOTS UP OFF the hood, banging onto the roof-

One movie I could think of where this happened, was Ransom (1996), but could not have that script online. I will try to think of more.
I already looked for RANSOM before I posted above and could only find a transcript.

Trying to think of other films where phone convos happen with disguised voices but drawing blanks. Maybe some bank job heist films?

Wiki for Voice Changers lists these films: Scream, Saw, Super Troopers, Steel, Home Alone 2: Lost in New York.

Not sure if any of those indicate the altered voices in the screenplays.

I checked The Two Towers when the white wizard returns and his voice is a mixture of gandalf and sauromon. It doesn't mention anything about his voice in the script.

Just write the script and finish it and fill these minor things in later. If for your own production do whatever you want.

That's true, but I want it to look more professional when it's finished. I read the Scream script, and there isn't really a parenthetical for the man with the distorted voice. However, in scream though, the audience is not meant to know who the man is. Where as in my script, the audience is completely aware of it. So they wonder why the character who they know chooses to talk in a ransom video, and not wonder why his voice is not being recognized by the people who know him. So therefore, I probably have to put something in so the audience knows the voice is distorted.

That's true, but I want it to look more professional when it's finished. I read the Scream script, and there isn't really a parenthetical for the man with the distorted voice. However, in scream though, the audience is not meant to know who the man is. Where as in my script, the audience is completely aware of it. So they wonder why the character who they know chooses to talk in a ransom video, and not wonder why his voice is not being recognized by the people who know him. So therefore, I probably have to put something in so the audience knows the voice is distorted.

"Look more professional"
What about DISTORTED VOICE?
It is so easy to overcomplicate every tiny detail.

As if asking a forum on the internet to take all your (in)decisions looks professional.

Last edited:
"Look more professional"
It is so easy to overcomplicate every tiny detail.

Totally! This is called bikeshedding.

http://bikeshed.com/

If you are unfamiliar:

bikeshed +‎ -ing. The term was coined as a metaphor to illuminate Parkinson’s Law of Triviality. Parkinson observed that a committee whose job is to approve plans for a nuclear power plant may spend the majority of its time on relatively unimportant but easy-to-grasp issues, such as what materials to use for the staff bikeshed, while neglecting the design of the power plant itself, which is far more important but also far more difficult to criticize constructively. It was popularized in the Berkeley Software Distribution community by Poul-Henning Kamp and has spread from there to the software industry at large.

Back