• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch I just filmed a new pot movie in Canada i need some feedback on the trailer!

Recently I graduated commerce only to quit my job and invest everything I own to make this film. I was wondering if you had any advice or ideas on how I should promote the movie. I am new to the industry and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It is called the “The Kronicles of Scott Green and Marty Haze”. It’s a coming of age story about two students at the end of their university experience. The film takes place two days from 4/20, the infamous weed smoking day. After being recently dumped by his longtime girlfriend, Marty has no plans to party. His roommate Scott, however, believes that this is exactly what is needed to get Marty out of his slump. The boys pick up some marijuana only to be busted by a crooked campus security guard. Having spent all their money, Scott and Marty attempt to steal back what is rightfully theirs and celebrate their holiday correctly.

With this film I hope to demonstrate the marijuana subculture more accurately than films before us, without some of stoner stereotypes.

You can check out my trailer at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6G7vFql01w

Last edited:
I'm no expert, but you might have some copyright issues with this trailer.

If I hadn't read your synopsis, I'd have no clue what this movie is about. I think your trailer should tell us more, and not spend so much time on weed-smoking music video.

Congrats on getting this in the can. And good luck.

Did you get permission to use the MPAA logo?
Have you actually received an MPAA rating?
Did you get permission to use the “Star Wars” music?
Do you have permission to use the Chiddy Bang song?

If you don’t, my first suggestion on promoting this movie is to
remove all copyrighted material. I know it’s just the trailer but
all I see are stereotypes.

That said, I’m with CFunk - congrats on finishing your movie. We
all know how difficult that can be. Other than a not so good
trailer it looks like it might be really funny. Trailers are
notoriously difficult to put together. Once you rework it a few
times it’ll showcase your movie better.

Ya, copyright issues, no discernible story line (from trailer, as is) aside from what you alluded to in your OP (sounds a bit Pineapple Express, though), some interesting shots, too much music video as CF mentioned. The font, it's color, and it's floaty animation, may match the film's pot haze theme, but it was a bit too distracting. For my tastes, over 3 minutes seems long for a trailer.

I'm with the others though...good for you on completing such a task! As Directorik said, trailers are a bitch to construct. Spend some time finessing this and perhaps a shorter teaser. Good Luck!

Nice! Looks right up my street :coffee:

Shame about the copyright,

All those bags of bud look genuine, you would laugh at the culture over here in england. £££

This film definitely has an audience. Congrats on getting it all put together.

While the trailers betrays some obviously indie shortfalls, this looks like a film with a budget. Mind if I ask how much you spent on this film? Were you able to find investors or was it all out of your own pocket?

Also, not to sound like a broken record with the other posters on here, but did you get permission to use those star wars costumes and music? If not, your errors and omissions insurance is going to be very expensive, if anyone is even willing to give it a chance. George Lucas is notoriously litigious.

Did you really get an MPAA (or Canadian equivalent) rating? How did you go about it?

You say that you are trying to tell an original story here that shows real pothead culture and leaves out some typical stereotypes, but based on your description and the trailer, I'm pretty sure I've seen this movie many times. Not that that's a bad thing as long as it's well done. As I said, this film has a market, even if it's been done before. Can you give me some examples though of what stereotypes you left out? I think I saw just about every stereotype I could think of in there, and didn't see the kind of 'pot' culture that I am familiar with....

Congrats again on finishing your film. Best of luck to you!

It looks interesting. It could be funny. I agree about the copyright issues. Besides the music being an issue you show the Universal Logo on the TV screen. If your film is not actually produced by Universal I think that Universal may have issues. The Spiderman shirt and of course the Star Wars stuff you have every where is an issue too. You could fix some of these issues by reshooting if needed as long as it is not too much to do. You could have issues getting your film shown at Festivals not sure. Good luck.

Last edited:
Back