• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Texas Filmmaker David Lackey Delivers Suspenseful Shocker Short Film “Axe”

l_cbe9c243892047b3b8a568cbcadae579.jpg

Film Title: Axe
Director: David Lackey
Cast: Michelle Lackey, Nate Davis

SHORTFILMTEXAS (SFT): What is Axe about?
DAVID LACKEY (DL): It’s about how really there’s a killer inside of all of us… hah! Actually, there was never any overriding theme to go along with the movie, although once we came up with the story we did like the idea of having the female character emerge as having some of the traits you might have expected to see in the killer. I don’t think we ever articulated it like that, but that was the idea.

The actual storyline came about naturally based on our desire to use the house and our frustration with the stupid things people always do in horror movies, like running headlong through the forest away from something that moves much faster than you, or especially the invariably-fatal mistake of not making sure the bad guy’s dead after you incapacitate him.

SFT: Great creepy location. Where did you shoot it?
DL: Just down the road from where I lived at the time with my parents in Decatur, Texas. We thought the house was creepy too, and as I said we sort of built the story around it. We did put off shooting for 3 days while we tried to get the elderly couple who owned the house to agree to let us shoot in it. Apparently one of their mothers had died in the house, and so I felt kind of bad about spraying fake blood everywhere and came back later and made sure all of it was cleaned up, even though the house will probably never be used again.

CLICK HERE TO WATCH SHORT FILM

Excellent work!

Great shots, great editing, nice pace.
The music (at 3:16 or so) was a little odd to me, but no big deal.
I like the opening title sequence a lot too.

I wish it was a longer short or a feature.

-Thanks-

Last edited:
Very nice idea. I wasn't sure about the ending, though: I saw three different interpretations.

1) The girl in a horror film stands up for herself. But then why the smirk on her face? Surely she'd be horrified about what she'd done...
2) She was also an axe-murderer, by sheer chance?
3) The axe itself turns normal people into axe murderers - I thought of Japanese horror when this came to mind, specifically The Ring - or like a chain letter.

Back