Film School Questions

Hey everyone, I am a recent undergraduate college graduate and I had some questions about film school.

I'm looking at getting an MFA in film production (specializing in directing for some schools which are more specific.) My undergrad degree wasn't in film making, but I am very passionate about making movies and I am looking for a serious MFA degree which I can use in the film business.

I applied to USC, Florida State, Ohio University, AFI etc. because I heard good things about them online.

However, my question is about two of the other schools I applied to. The Academy of Art University in San Francisco and the New York Film Academy in Los Angeles took my application and accepted me after about two weeks. That seemed a little strange to me (as I am applying for the fall of 2012 and I was expecting most places to get back to me in the spring.) So I did some research online and I found that the two schools had a lot in common:

-They are both for profit institutions (which I got the sense was a bad thing as all they care about when it comes to their students is money.)

-I also found a ton of strong opinions concerning both schools (Mainly negative, but there were a few positive ones thrown in.) The sense I got was that NYFA was slightly more "legit" (as in people had more positive things to say about the learning experience there than at AAU.)

-They both seem to have a 100% acceptance rate which seems a little fishy.

I guess what I am wondering is: Does anyone have any sort of advice based on personal experience from either of these schools? I got the fact pretty quickly that I should go somewhere else if I could...But I really really want to go to film school (I know that some would say it is a waste of time, but all of my film knowledge up to this point is self taught and I would like to pursue film making in a scholastic environment.)

So does anyone have any advice about either of these schools (both good and bad) based on actual facts and not speculation or stories they heard from a friend of a friend.

Again the two schools I'm looking for advice in the MFA in film making program are:

-The Academy of Art University in San Francisco

-New York Film Academy Los Angeles Campus

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this...and I really do appreciate it if you take the time to respond. I am new to the film world and am feeling a tad overwhelmed.

If I may be blunt, they're in it to take your money. The chances that you'll make a living with your film degree is slim to none. With a MBA or other useful degree you'll have a fall back, yet an almost equal chance of making it in the film business.

If you want go to film school to "make a film", make a film with the money instead.

Good luck.

From observations, I second GA's recommendation.

A youtube search for film school thesis films renders many cr@p shorts as graduating "products".
I.e. "You spent four years and how many thousands to make a film this bad?! Incredible".

Greatest boon about film schools seems to be cultivating working relationships.

There are plenty of folks, including many here on IndieTalk (yours truly included), who have done quite well without getting a degree. At the very least spend some time on real film sets - even low/no budget projects - so you can learn what you need to learn. There is a huge difference between book larnin' and practical experience.

As with all educational experiences you get out of it what you put into it. Beware of diploma mills. The big name schools are not always the best fit.

Most of your education will hang on the teachers. Many of the smaller schools have instructors with more real-world practical experience; and many of those teachers are only around for two or three years. Why? They've been out in the world doing real work. But the entertainment industry is a demanding mistress, so they take some time off to raise kids, etc. and teach for a couple of years, sharing their hard-won knowledge before diving back in. I had one such instructor when I went for my Pro Tools certification. He had recorded artists with multi-platinum albums, worked on major Hollywood films, the whole nine yards, and was taking some time for a breather. I learned more from him in a dozen weeks than a "peer" did in four years at a name college. The next level of my education was watching professionals at the studios where I freelanced, and even occasionally flying second chair.

So think it through. Get out there and do some real work; if you feel outclassed by the film school grads you can always go to school.

If you want go to film school to "make a film", make a film with the money instead.

I see this sort of thing being said again and again on here and I think it's poor and irresponsible advice.

Making a movie and going to film school are two very different things and have two very different sets of motivations and consequences.

That said I would be vary of these 'pay-to-play' Film Schools that accept everyone so long as you can pay. We have a NY Film Academy in London and that's how it works so I assume it's the same in LA. If you get accepted into one of the other courses then I'd say that's probably the best option.

:)

So does anyone have any advice about either of these schools (both good and bad) based on actual facts and not speculation or stories they heard from a friend of a friend.

Again the two schools I'm looking for advice in the MFA in film making program are:

-The Academy of Art University in San Francisco

-New York Film Academy Los Angeles Campus

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this...and I really do appreciate it if you take the time to respond. I am new to the film world and am feeling a tad overwhelmed.

I go to the Academy of Art.

As you already know it's for-profit and yes their main purpose is to make money. All studios have the same purpose. Studios that give you an internship, are for-profit and even though you're not paying them directly, you're nothing more than a way for them to make more money. Be it free labor or training a future employee, you're just their to make them more money. The Academy is no different.

The advantage of this school is it's staff and resources. One of my screenwriting professors has sold 4 produced screenplays. Another has consulted with pixar for like 15 years. Another has directed a thriller featuring molly ringwald, Malicious and directed many commercials. Another has been making documentaries for over a decade.

And all the work is WORK not studying. You make films under the guidance of these experienced professionals, that's what you're paying for. The degree isn't worth crap, the experience is. You can get that same experience without film school but you're less likely to get that experience with people who have done it already and with the equipment you're provided.

The resources are pretty nice too, you get trained with DSLRs and eventually REDs. You get access to all the sound equipment, lights, labs, software and just about anything you'd ever need to make a film. You make a short film you're semester here and work you're way up each semester until you're working in collaboration with cinematography majors, acting majors, editing majors, etc.

So at the end of film school, if you're a directing major, you'll leave with several short films, commercials, a documentary and probably a feature film in your reel to show to any studio exec or producer you meet. With the hopes that all these things, will help you find work. You'll also leave with connections, of your professors and students. One of my professors, Rob Allan Martin, got a student a job directing a music video for Nadia Ali right out of film school. He's gone on to direct commercials for a few years now.

All of this, however, comes at a price. Depending on your income, that price might be feasible or not.

I see this sort of thing being said again and again on here and I think it's poor and irresponsible advice.

I say it is spot-on advice. Especially in this economy. What rational thinking person wants to be burdened with college debt with zero hope of getting a job in said field?

Bankruptcy doesn't erase all college debts.

There are ways to getting into the film business starting at the bottom on film sets as some have suggested.

If somebody is asking in here about film school, this information is EXACTLY what they need to know.

Those with the $$$ aren't going to stop in here in ask, they'll just go.

Besides its irresponsible for film schools to keep churning out students for which there are no jobs. This alone is reason enough to call film schools BOGUS!

We can agree to disagree.

I'm glad you weren't my parents when I said I want to make
movies and not go to film school. Their advice was of the "poor
and irresponsible" kind - they encouraged me to go out and
make movies. I'm not famous and I'm not rich but I have
worked and made a good living in theater, film and TV my entire
working life.

Perhaps it's not the advice you would give and perhaps it's advice
you do not like but it is far from poor and irresponsible.

-They are both for profit institutions (which I got the sense was a bad thing as all they care about when it comes to their students is money.)

-I also found a ton of strong opinions concerning both schools (Mainly negative, but there were a few positive ones thrown in.) The sense I got was that NYFA was slightly more "legit" (as in people had more positive things to say about the learning experience there than at AAU.)

-They both seem to have a 100% acceptance rate which seems a little fishy.
Both are "legit" in that they will do what they say they will do.
Since you feel you want to go to film school and not just start
working in the industry I would suggest NYFA. You will pay to
work on and make several student films. You even get to shoot
one on the Universal backlot.

I'm one who says films school - especially these "trade" schools -
are a waste of time. Move to LA or SF and get a job working in
movies and make your own. Everyone in the industry knows
about NYFA and AAU and they can see students coming. They will
then tell the student with their NYFA or AAU degree and reel to
make a few of their own shorts and work on some no and low
budget movies and return when they have something worth
buying. You want to direct movies - direct movies. No one cares
about an MFA - they care about your talent.

Of course there are those who call that poor and irresponsible
advice.

Of course there are those who call that poor and irresponsible
advice.

It's far from poor or irresponsible but it's for another subject. The OP asked about two specific film school programs..not if the forum thinks HE should go to film school or not.

"So does anyone have any advice about either of these schools (both good and bad) based on actual facts and not speculation or stories they heard from a friend of a friend."

Saying schools of this nature are bad..because..they're for profit or because the industry (the entire industry) steers clear from them..or whatever is a story/speculation. Maybe every alumni I've talked to who has come back and bragged about their placement program has lied and maybe the experienced professionals who teach here are as stupid and clueless as the rich students who go here or maybe (and probably) I'm just in denial about it's validity because I go here but the OP wants to know about these two schools pros and cons. I answered that to the best of my knowledge, actual knowledge, in my first post.

Hey everyone thanks for all the advice.

Didn't mean to start an argument about whether or not film school is worth the time and money.

I've thought about it a lot, and for me film school is worth the time and the money. I realize a degree does not equal a job and that's ok...

Maybe I didn't make this clear in the OP, and sorry if it was confusing, but I was wondering if anyone had specific examples from either of the mentioned schools about professors or administrators not giving real constructive feedback on work. If I go to film school, I want to learn things, which I realize I could do on set...But in film school I can make the learning suit my needs and learn quickly and efficiently...without worrying about finding work (which I have tried doing in the Boston area and frankly it was pretty discouraging.) Most importantly tho, going to film school would be fun for me. So again I realize there are positives and negatives about film school, and for me the positives outweigh the negatives. But does anyone have advice specifically about the two schools I mentioned.

For example:

-Are graduates competent film makers?

-Are good connections made at the schools?

-Are the classes enjoyable and informative, or is it busy work (as I saw many vague allusions to in reviews for AAU)?

Again sorry to start a debate on the validity of film school, and thanks for all the responses everyone!!

Edit: To be honest when it comes to working in the film industry (at least on the East coast) the only work I can find is the work I make for myself...The movies I write, direct, and edit. When I have tried to find work, I either never hear back from the person or groups making a film, or hear that there's nothing I can do to help. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places (my undergrad recruitment office, friends of my parents who are involved in the film business, all over the internet) or maybe my films don't look professional enough/serious enough. Or maybe I just don't have enough talent, I honestly don't know. What I do know is I love film making and everything I know about it is self taught. Therefore, I think it would be both beneficial for my learning (and more importantly to give me a good picture of what exactly I can and can't do in the film industry talent wise) to go to film school.

Last edited:
Didn't mean to start an argument about whether or not film school is worth the time and money.

No apology needed. It's just what we do here. We're just waiting for bait. :lol:

Are graduates competent film makers?

If you mean by competent that after watching one's film you'll call your friend and say "hey you need to watch this", I vote no.

Sure, one will learn HOW to make a film, but will they be able to make a great feature film? No.

Great filmmakers make great films regardless of what they know or have.

Good luck.

Back