• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Who is planning on doing Script Frenzy?

As April approaches, my mind turns to the annual screenplay writing madness that is Script Frenzy (scriptfrenzy.org) put on by the Office of Light and Letters (NaNoWriMo.org). The idea is simple; write a 100 page screenplay in 30 days beginning April 1st and ending at midnight on April 30th. Quantity, not quality is the order of the day (month). There will be plenty of time for corrections and rewrites later. Registration is free and the site is full of helpful tips and tricks. This year will be my second Script Frenzy, who's with me?

I'm participating this year for my first time. I meant to last year but got distracted by other things. This time I'm ready to sit in Starbucks on my breaks and bash away at my keyboard.

I think I'll be participating. I usually do National Novel Writing Month in November (50,000 words in 30 days), and I don't think I've ever spent more than a month writing a screenplay first draft anyway, so...

I've got a couple ideas kicking around, just need to decide which one I want to tackle.

ETA: I'm signed up as cchapman84 if anyone wants to be "writing buddies". I find buddying up with others and seeing their progress is a good motivator.

Last edited:
Great idea.

Good luck to all. You should keep a thread alive on IndieTalk and let us not participating -- know it went for all that submitted to the challenge.

After 6 years of exclusively writing, as a writer -- I'm done writing. Think I'll start taking scripts to screen for the next few years... make movies!

Once again -- go for it, learn as much as possible and good luck while having great results!

While I can't technically join Script Frenzy (boo) since I already started in on my screenplay (yay!) I WILL keep the words flowing and see if I can't bang out a vomit draft by the end of April.

I spent the past few weeks reading a bunch of produced screenplays (amazingly written ones at that) and learning a little bit more about story structure and formatting. The two bits that stick in my mind most are CRISIS and CONFLICT. I'm feeling pretty good about the crisis angle, just gotta make sure there is an adequate amount of conflict to keep the pace up and the action moving forward.

Good luck to all the scribes who take on the frenzy!!

i feel like an ignorant a**face for asking, but if there is no prize or winning or publicity or anything, why bother?

A lot of it is the community (the idea that you're writing something at the same time as all these thousands of other people, plus there are forums and actual real-world events). Working to a deadline is also helpful for a lot of people (myself included). And it's fun. :D

I am so glad I found out about this "competition" a week ago. I have been putting off writing a full feature for shorts for a while. I will be using this month as the catalyst to my long-form creativity.

Plus, I am developing plans to hopefully raise a little cash for charity and new equipment.

So I stayed up past midnight and I've got almost 5 pages done between the three scripts I'm working on. Now I'm gonna go crash for the night and will pick up again tomorrow morning. I'm hoping I can knock out 20-30 pages tomorrow, so that way I can slack off some during the week when I'm actually working.

A lot of it is the community (the idea that you're writing something at the same time as all these thousands of other people, plus there are forums and actual real-world events). Working to a deadline is also helpful for a lot of people (myself included). And it's fun. :D

true, i guess im just not a hardcore writer, so i couldn't find writing fun, especially if it was 100 pages long, which is way too long for me to film anything of. well enjoy folks, i think i'll pass on this one, but have fun!

Back