e-courses of directing.

hey people, all good? :) so, i had made an application to study directing for free in a film school here in my city but i got rejected. i didn't do anything bad, i was just not chosen. xD

i would say better that they didn't accept me, cause my schedule is very heavy these days, so i found a cheap greek online film school. as i said before in an other thread, it would be awesome to finish directing. you get the connections and get to work with good equipment. :P (also, as a director, i wanna have total control of everything so the final result is exactly what i wanted. like a boss. :lol:)

what do you guys think? should i finish this online film school here in greece? or to study in 2 years from now in the UK? i'm in a big hurry, i have so much passion and imagination in my head that i will explode right now if i don't create stuff. i'm working on a big script these days but my brain is stuck (as i said in an other thread) and i need some help to put my thoughts in an order.

my equipment is a sony camcorder, a nokia lumia 1020 (with a 41 megapixels camera) and a nikon 3300D. i will also go tomorrow to a photographer's shop and ask if they sell TALL tripods. i emphasized the "tall" because all the tripods that i have found until now are short. can you describe me-if you can-the best possible result i will have with the abovementioned gear that i own? by the way, i can't afford more equipment this period (lights, mics, etc. except the tripod) so can you tell me how to do the best out of what i already have?

thank you for your time my friends and pardon me if i sounded silly. :D

directing has nothing to do with equipment, and usually the less you control as a director the more you get.
all you need as a director is your brain. if you want to learn directing, take a few friends and shoot a simple scene from a well known movie. i.e. the "spider scene" from good fellas. and then try to understand why you failed. then do it again and again and again until you understand what it takes to shot such a scene.

directing has nothing to do with equipment, and usually the less you control as a director the more you get.
all you need as a director is your brain. if you want to learn directing, take a few friends and shoot a simple scene from a well known movie. i.e. the "spider scene" from good fellas. and then try to understand why you failed. then do it again and again and again until you understand what it takes to shot such a scene.

i really need the diploma so i can make connections and ultimately shoot official films without worrying about the budget. as for the experience, i'm recording videos as much as i can but it's not good enough for me. i need to go to a film school for many reasons. let's leave out the "practice practice practice" part (i do that all the time) and focus on the real deal. i need a diploma and i don't have much free time and money. what are our options? are there any e-courses for free? generally, how can i get my director paper with wasting as less time and money as possible? :)

i really need the diploma so i can make connections and ultimately shoot official films without worrying about the budget.

Let me tell you... You don't need the diploma and you're always going to worry about the budget. It's par for the course.

Let me tell you... You don't need the diploma and you're always going to worry about the budget. It's par for the course.

ok but how am I supposed to make official films without a film school certificate? I will have my script ready in the near future, how will I get the permission and all the official requirements for shooting it? Sorry for my questions, I'm just trying to learn. :)

how am I supposed to make official films without a film school certificate?

It's exactly the same way that you would if you have a film school certificate.

how will I get the permission and all the official requirements for shooting it?

Again, it's the same as if you did have that certificate. You make a decision. You could use money, permits and insurance... or you could go Guerilla style.

I suggest you go through this forum (and other web sites around the interwebs) and read, read, read about independent film making. Enough pennies will drop and you'll understand what I mean.

Unless you go to one of the few highly regarded film schools (if you didn't get into your local, free one, you won't get into one of these schools - besides they tend to be expensive) no one cares about your "certificate." They care about how good you are at your chosen speciality, be it directing, sound design, whatever.

When I decide who works on my films, I don't look at their qualifications, rather I ask for references and examples of their work.

Bottom line, besides the opportunities for networking (which you can get by volunteering your time on film sets and being friendly to the people you want to get involved with), getting you actively involved in making films and working with good gear (you want to direct, this isn't that relevant) film school doesn't offer a lot.

The actual education you can obtain is often not that applicable to real world filmmaking, in my experience. A friend of mine did a diploma in filmmaking. They spent a single week on sound, and a lot of their students seem to actually believe that they now comprehensively understand how sound in films works. That level of education will be obtained by reading a lot of books, watching a lot of videos, analysing a lot of films you like, and actually getting out there and applying the latest stuff you've learnt.

ok then fellas! :)

i replied to a similar thread in the "Newbies" section, i believe my queries will be solved there.

again, thank you for your time and advices my friends! :yes:

My dear Nikki,

I too am a novice film maker, hoping to get my first film out early next year.

Please believe me that TheKraut gave you great advice. He obviously know what he is talking about!

You do NOT need a diploma to make a film.

All you need is a burning desire to create a film that will be around long after you are no more!

All the best

CJ

Back