Let's Help A Fellow Filmmaker

It's not mine. The film is ambitious. And, several film reviewers realize that. The film is a very low budget science fiction film that was properly researched for realism. The writer / director / producer had meetings with a secret member of the Ministry of Defense for nearly a year before he made the film. And, he did his homework on real AI and Quantum Computers to add to the realism. His star cast members have good resumes for an Indie Film as well.

Looks like it will be available June 17. But it's been available for like a few weeks (?) as a rental on streaming. I rented it like a few weeks ago? I gave it thumbs up, and recommend it to sci-fi lovers.

Someone told me the budget was like $3 Million, which is a budget most of us here dream of working with. I need to substantiate that. And, I would be curious how the money was spent.

That could be. Although the Wikipedia page says: The budget was less than £1 million (production).

And this seems to suggest £1 million, too. Though I didn't read it very carefully.

I suppose that doesn't include what they spent on promotion, either?

Whether it was 3 or 1 or whatever, pretty impressive results. =)

It is inspiring. Not sure this is what you mean, but it doesn't need to be remade with a studio budget. That's the thing. They did a good job, as is. =)

Though I won't complain if they do remake it. But please, use the same actors. Lead actors, anyway.

Last edited:
Well, I can read through what he would have done with it with a studio budget just from the dialogue. I've done early drafts like that myself in scripts when lots of ideas were flooding my mind. He would have examined more of the possibilities of what the machine could do with her superior intelligence. As he said, she can be much more than a soldier.

I can see a lot of the same research I've done on AI, quantum computers, and research into mending the bodies of broken soldiers in the film. IC2-GOTH was scripted to have 2 "Trans-cyborgs" who were former Amazon soldiers blown to bits on the battle field in the story. The same science used to build cyborg super soldiers was used to transform the broken human soldiers into mostly machine super soldiers. I examined how they would not fit into either world of humans or all machine soldiers and the trans-cyborgs felt like outsiders.

But, now I know why Hollywood does not like to make female super hero movies when you see the attendance rate of actors for auditions. We would have had one of the two roles filled, if the actress didn't show up to rehearsals 40 pounds over weight and too sick to rehearse stunts, or fit into her costume. At that point, I had to write the character out of the script.

I agree. Let's keep the cast, if a bigger budget were given to maybe a sequel at this point. They did a fine job.

Last edited:
This is not to knock this story. I love it. But, I have been wondering about something.

So, do I understand correctly? The android in The Machine has a quantum computer for a brain? If so, that's really cool. I hope it's possible.

But one thing that's been bothering me is this: would hard science fiction allow it? That is to say, is it possible in the real world?

I haven't read or heard about quantum computers much at all. But I love Nova's shows, Making Stuff This and Making Stuff That, etc.

I really like this one: Making Stuff Colder. In it, we meet the world's first commercial quantum computer. But here's the thing: to make it work they apparently have to keep it very, very...like, very cold. So how would that work with the android's "brain"? How would you keep it so cold when it's out and about in the world?

Do we need positronic brains, instead? ;)

I am thinking the android's brain (quantum computer) will be surrounded with liquid nitrogen to keep it cold enough. Remember, the human brain is surrounded with cranial fluid. So, the design may end up being very similar.

It will have to be very well insulated and a built-in replenishing refrigeration system will have to be an important subsystem in the android's anatomy. Early models may need liquid nitrogen transfusions periodically.

Finally watched it - well shot and reasonably impressive considering the budget.

From a story & sci-fi standpoint I thought it was a disappointment though. It's pretty much a collection of sci-fi cliches, with story beats that follow the standard pattern for this type of film. As an action film it's too slow, but as a thoughtful sci-fi it's not very deep and doesn't really introduce anything new to the genre.

Back