Name Actors

I'm curious - how much $$$ would it take to hire a "name" actor for around a week or so?

I'm not talking about a George Clooney or a Brad Pitt - just someone recognizable.

This isn't a "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" type question... I have a fair amount of money to spend, but I'm just curious as to whether or not this is even a possibility considering I have no clout

I have no idea - but I do know there is a factor here you haven't mentioned.

If they have to travel to your location or if you will travel to them.

I contacted Denny Trejo's agent few months ago, asking same question. Pitched my short movie idea and asked what's his price. here is a reply:

"Thank you for your interest in Mr.Trejo.
Please contact us again once your project is fully financed."

So my guess is you can negotiate. Better start practicing your sales pitch ;)

The very first thing they will respond to is professionalism. What you need to do is cast your role with the "names" that you want in descending order of preference. Then you start calling their agents. You should have EVERYTHING prepped and ready to go before you make your initial contacts - shooting script, tentative locations, tentative crew (prod and post), tentative schedule, etc., etc., etc.; all the details they would want to know about the production. Then they will let you know about the availability of the "name" and how much their fee will be.

Always keep in mind that "names" also require a lot of maintenance. You'll need someplace private for them while on-set, transportation, lodging, security and the like, and many will have quirks you will most likely have to accommodate.

I'm curious - how much $$$ would it take to hire a "name" actor for around a week or so?

I'm not talking about a George Clooney or a Brad Pitt - just someone recognizable.

This isn't a "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" type question... I have a fair amount of money to spend, but I'm just curious as to whether or not this is even a possibility considering I have no clout
I don't believe this is what you're asking, Dane, but I'm going to
mention it anyway;

For working actors, “names”, money comes first and the project
second. Some will work on any project as long as their rate is met.
Some are more discriminating. Time is also an issue. Some actors
get a lot of work and love working so they got from project to
project. Some take time off between projects. My overall point is
there is no “one-size-fits-all” answer.

Dane, name actors charge from as low as $2,500/$5,000 per day to
upwards of $15,000 per day. There is only one way to find out – you
need to contact the actor you're interested in with an offer. As Dima
found out most will not quote a rate – they will consider an offer. The
good news is you cannot make too low of an offer. For discussion let's
say Trejo's rate is $5,000 per day. You have $15,000 for two weeks
budgeted and make that offer. A firm offer for a project that is already
funded. The agent will NOT laugh you out of the office. They will tell
you their clients current quote and ask how close you can get to that.
At $25,000 per week there is some room for negotiation. If you are
offering the talent a great part, something they don't typically get to
play, there is a good possibility the agent will make a deal.

Back