How can I make fake blood ?

Okey I know that there are thousands of tutorials on Youtube with cute girls talking about how to make realistic fake blood .

The truth is that I don't understand a damn thing in make up nor cooking .

There is no such thing as Corn Syrup in my country ( they don't sell it ) .

I have a scene where there is a bath full of blood ,theres some blood on the door , some bloody steps on the ground and so on .

Any ideas how I can make it as realistic as possible but still keep it easy to make ? Thanks .

Hey man, is there any way to order some corn syrup online? I highly recommend that method... I've been using/perfecting it for years now.

I get some corn syrup, water it down a bit so it's not insanely thick and add the red food coloring and a touch of blue food coloring to give it that deep red look. It's the easiest most realistic approach I think.

If you are shooting in Black and White, Hitchcock actually used chocolate syrup for his blood and that worked out pretty well. But I'm assuming you are not...

As for the bathtub, unless you are interacting with it (such as stirring it around or someone is jumping out of it) then the I wouldn't think the consistency will matter there... just use red and blue food coloring to dye the water. Caution... this will most likely stain your tub, haha. But if the "blood" is just sitting still, you shouldn't have an issue with just using food coloring.
Also, anytime you are using food coloring, be prepared to stain whatever it touches. Just a heads up.

I am going for a very desatured look so if I don't find the corn syrup I'll just go for black and white and use chocolate syrup or something similar .

Thanks.

Can you get golden syrup? It's interchangable with corn syrup.

Best forumula I've used, after quite a bit of testing with knightly, is essentially the first one shown here: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Fake-Blood

Which I find interesting, since we came up with a technique like this without any sort of guidance, just trying to approximate the look/feel of real blood based on its physical properties.. guess someone else had that same thought. lol

As for the bathtub... Caution... this will most likely stain your tub,... Also, anytime you are using food coloring, be prepared to stain whatever it touches. Just a heads up.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, not to mention - is it a fiberglass or porcelain tub you're using?

You might want to consider just dumping 2-4 quarts of dark red latex paint into a tub of water.
A) it's water soluble, so it safely washes right down the drain just fine.
B) it won't stain anything but fabric when it dries, (but wipe it up before it gets a half day old).
C) it's a lot cheaper, or should be, and simpler than some of the traditional "small batch" routes.

IDK if there are latex allergy issues with it being so diluted in a tub of bathwater, though.
Just something additional to consider, for your actor's sake.

GL

From what I can tell it's pretty similar to corn syrup. Honey is also supposed to work, though honey tends to be significantly more expensive

Hey , thanks for all the answers ! :)

Is the Golden Syrup something similar to honey ?

Corn syrup is predominately glucose as the "sweet" bit, although it can be processed into high fructose content also.
Golden syrup is a sucrose sweetened version, made as a by-product I think of refining cane sugar, but it might be made directly.
Honey is bee vomit and consists of glucose and fructose as sweeteners.

They have different viscosities, and I think that's why corn syrup is generally recommended for this. Also, it's clear colour means it can be more easily tinted; golden syrup is very, well, golden in colour. Also, corn syrup is generally cheap.

But they all taste good!

CraigL

Best way for me is this

1. Corn Syurp

2. Red Food Coloring ( ad as many drops as you like)

3. add a squirt of "Warm Brown" Food Coloring. I get mine from Hobby Lobby but you can get it online.

The result will give you a dark red blood color. very cool and easy.

you can get fake blood from amazon, I bought a pint for £9 or something and it looks good! (you can see how it looks in one of my short film "You and Me now" on my youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/DiSparrowFilms )

I would post the link to amazon on here but ADMIN would suspend me for promotion... just type "Pint of Fake Blood"

Something important you might forget: for a whole bathtub, blood with syrup will not only be an immeasurable mess, but will also be expensive as shit. Syrup is good and important only if you need it for cinematic purposes like splashing, dropping, etc., because it has realistic texture. For the whole bathtub, I suggest you to use only dye. Check out if the dye you use won't paint the tub walls and, if some actor will be inside the tub, you can do it with only food coloring or something like it.

There is no such thing as Corn Syrup in my country ( they don't sell it ) .
It's interesting how many people suggested you use corn syrup even after
you said there is no such thing in your country.

Milk will work just fine. Not as think as syrup but better than water and
less expensive than thinning down honey - which would work. For the bath
tub you face a serious expense issue. I would use Methylcellulose Powder
in water. You may also not be able to get in your country. For smaller
applications I have used K-Y Jelly which is a personal lubricant. I assume
there is something similar in your country.

Can you think of any thick, clear product that is sold in your country?
Can you buy fake blood or corn syrup and have it shipped into your
country? You might even contact a baker near you to ask about any
clear, sugar based syrups they may use.

Never actually tried it myself, but I've heard recommendations to use flour to thicken up water, then dye it to taste with food colouring.

I'd be a little worried that it might become a bit glue-like, as that's how you make papier-mache... Might be worth a go though. :yes:

Back