• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Homework with Brad

This is my first actual video I tried to do with my new t3i. Just testing out angles and settings all while being bored and wanting to have some fun. So my friend Brad and I made "Homework with Brad" Enjoy!

Just to note, I do not have any editing program yet, still saving for it. Just made this in iMovie

ALL C&C is welcome and appreciated, thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDUfHTWm81k
http://youtu.be/jDUfHTWm81k

Edit: Used only Kit Lens, tripod, and my hands.

Last edited:
How do I go about that? I am quite "noobish" to dslr's filming and all the key ingredients and features.

Yeah, in a nut-shell, a lower f-stop is going to produce a more shallow depth of field. Also, the more wide the lens, the more wide the depth of field.

So, a wide lens (let's say 20mm), with a relatively high f-stop (let's say f8), and practically everything is going to be in focus. You had some pretty tight shots -- were you using 100mm? I'm just guessing, could be way off.

Anyway, shallow depth of field is certainly not a bad thing. In fact, filmmakers clamored over it, for years. But it's kinda over-used, these days. It's definitely a good thing to know when and why you want either a shallow or wide depth of field; both are good for different things.

That's is some good information to know, thanks man. And fyi, I was just using the kit lens. Saving up for a wider lense, tele, and just some editing software. Small steps, but I hope to get there. This is a fun hobby I have always leaned towards, was just never able to actually afford all equipment. As time goes on I will learn more and more, and with your guys input, it really helps me out. Thanks a bunch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq9lwmWrkh0

Any tips on how to get rid of the Grainy/Noise look in both videos? I feel stupid because I don't know if I hit a wrong button or something.

Any tips on how to get rid of the Grainy/Noise look in both videos? I feel stupid because I don't know if I hit a wrong button or something.

Just a guess, could be wrong, but...

Looks like that footage has been color graded? And I'm assuming the grain/noise doesn't exist in the original footage?

The first one is a little color adjusted, but the second ones from the t3i settings with a little saturation. Still trying to figure out what looks good and doesn't. And it does exist in the original footage. What am I doing wrong? I see shorts from t3is that look absolutely gorgeous in 720. Mine kind looks meh in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVgM4crVF7A&hd=1

This one's a little better and it was inside with some household lamps. Maybe I need to relax on the color grading. That would effect my video's noise a lot?

Hi,
I have question about the grading.
Have you done any sort of grading on the first video(homework)?
Does ti3's original raw picture look like this?

I like the color quality on the first one and I want to to have that kind of picture on my first film.
Let me know thank you.

Yeah it is color grading towards the blue on the color circle on imovie, just a tad. The raw footage can be all sorts of different looks, depending on how you adjust your settings(i.e. auto, shade, daylight, portrait, landscape, faithful) I would just say learn those as I am still.

This one's a little better and it was inside with some household lamps. Maybe I need to relax on the color grading. That would effect my video's noise a lot?

Maybe? :huh:

To be honest, I'm barely (and I do mean barely) more experienced than you are, as a colorist. But I've noticed some odd effects in before/after, when color grading. Is this more a reflection of how the footage was gathered, and with what? Or, are we making mistakes in color grading? Your guess is as good as mine, I just thought I'd throw it out there as a possibility.

Maybe? :huh:

To be honest, I'm barely (and I do mean barely) more experienced than you are, as a colorist. But I've noticed some odd effects in before/after, when color grading. Is this more a reflection of how the footage was gathered, and with what? Or, are we making mistakes in color grading? Your guess is as good as mine, I just thought I'd throw it out there as a possibility.

I see. Yeah I didn't notice too much of a difference when I color grade it then replay it back in original color. Maybe next short, if the original footage looks good, I won't give it a little color to see how well it performs on the noise. The hookah video, looked better on the imovie before I uploaded to youtube and it still does. Maybe I need to check out vimeo? I just need to get an editing software too.

More than likely it's because grading in 8bit color is not too lenient when it comes to degrading the image. Any kind of color grading really does hurt the image. Try transcoding into a higher bit-depth format so that you will have more room to grade without introducing banding.

* but I'm just learning as well so I definitely could be wrong!*

Back