IndieTalk: The Movie (Story Development)

story

I agree with Clive in the sense that the story needs to be executive decision/development and not community. You'll be pulled in too many directions at once and never go anywhere. I think with a story that was condusive on a joint project then community production of it could definitely work. Ownership of the project would still need to be defined to keep yourself out of legal troubles. Just a few thoughts...

Lets all get drunk and flip a coin...ok maybe not. It's sad to see the project being torn in different directions. I still haven't been able to start writing with my moviemagic for ya'll yet. I have started a script of my own that is going pretty good. CFV - your the man in charge- what do you want to happen. Put your foot down and let us know. I will listen, and I hope no one bitches about their role in the decision process.

Hey guys. Sorry about me not being around for a while. Had some really dodgey things happening with my line or something to do with my broadband connection, just got fixed (i hope its the last of the problems!) and its the first time i've been on the net for something like over 2 weeks :( Ill read all the new posts and get back to y'all!

Cheers, Kane.

What i need from the WRITERS, is for them to PM me to let me know if they are still writing, and where their ideas/scripts are at! Cheers.

Are you guys still in the preliminary stages of getting an idea together then? I'm gonna scramble a treatment together and I'll pass it on to contempovision when it's done. If I've missed some deadline or story decision a few pages back it's no worry, I'll be doing the treatment anyway so no worries.

Ok I've pmed you an absoulte ramble. Hopefully you'll get a good idea of what I meant to get across and I could pitch it properly in this thread.

EDIT - Ok here's my pitch. Any questions can be asked in here along with any opinions or porposals etc.

The Indie-Talk Movie (Working Title)

Concept - The world is ending. We can't fight it, we can't stop it and we certainly can't escape it. Here is the story of small groups of people over the world coming to terms with their fate in their own unique ways.

Note - OK so the basis will be around five different stories, i.e., five different people or groups of people in five different countries and the way they hear about and come to terms with the news of the Armageddon. The actual details of the event will not be delved into, just that it is absolutely hopeless. The stories will all inter cut and be begin and look to run alongside each other in real time, from the time they hear about the End to the time whatever it is happens, be it a quiet acceptance of death or a Butch Cassidy style off the rails ending that each character may choose to follow.

Story - The film opens with a man sat on his bed strumming at an acoustic. He is in his thirties and sings soulfully, in his own little world. His TV flashes silently in the background. The titles read 'Manchester, England.' As he continues to sing, at the other end of his bed sit room a small boy of about ten plays with cars. Occasionally he looks up at his father and smiles at his playing. Next we see a police officer coming home from work, slamming a flimsy patio door behind him. North Carolina, USA read the titles. The music from the man at the start still plays over the top. The officer throws down his stuff and heads into the front room where his young daughter runs up and gives him a hug. His wife sits smoking on the couch, ignorant of his entrance. She sips a strong drink. She wears a bath robe. A dog barks and scratches at the porch window as the family sit glued to the TV, apart from the officer who heads to make himself some food.

In Adelaide, Australia, a group of kids in a convenience store begin to case the place. Scruffy and cheeky, the young teenagers suddenly start to grab all the junk food they can before running out of the shop with the owner shouting after them. They easily evade him and run off, past a TV shop showing the same news broadcast as the other two houses. The song continues. The TV screen now takes us to Arizona, USA. A young couple curled up on the sofa change the station and flick through the channels. The girl, head lying on her husbands knee, suddenly takes interest and asks him to turn the channel back. He does and their faces drop. She sits up and takes a closer look. Our music ends.

Manchester, UK. The guitarist puts down his instrument and begins to light up a cigarette before noticing the television. He fumbles for the remote and turns up the volume. Silence for us, but he takes in every word. The man in North Carolina stands with a beer and a sandwich, slowly chewing as he glares at the screen. He heads back into the hall and puts his uniform back on. The street kids in Australia, they are oblivious. All they see is a sudden surge of traffic and a hint of panic in the people on the street. As they lie on the beach drinking their soda and eating their doughnuts they couldn't care less what it is about. The couple, she is crying into her husbands arms.

The world will end in a matter of days.

------------------------------------------------------

So yeah, they would be the main groups with the locations interchangable to suit. Also, on top of those in the intro there is potential for a few other subplots I have in mind, such as two guys in a bar with a barman who are just gonna stay put and drink their way through it as they watch it all unfold on TV, with nothnig to live for but the bar.

As for their endings, they would at the moment be in this kind of vein.

The English guy has some sort of tale to admit to his kid, maybe embellishing the truth as it's more important that they get along in their last day together. They end up camping out in the middle of the country to be somewhere potentially safer, but also somewhere with less bad memories and more exciting for the kid.

The dysfunctional family end up having to pull together and take refuge in the basement of their house. Panic erupts in the streets and eventually the dad has to defend his cellar against neighbours trying to join them, eventually probably giving in and sharing his space with them.

The couple are only intersted in each other and go out in a kind of True Romance/Romeo and Juliet head on them versus the world scenario where they just thing screw it to anything but each other.

The homeless kids have pretty much the best weekend of their life looting shops and enjoying each others company while the rest of the town is in a blind panic.

The guys in the bar drink till the TV stops broadcasting and the sun goes down.

I think this idea has potential to work within the formula so far because essentially each storyline will be it's own seperate film in itself, allowing the director to really take liberties with the style and direction, whilst still striving towards the same goal of it all being against the same apocalyptic backdrop. The key is having the setting as a strong enough plot point to carry the characters through to a resolution. The backdrop itself forcing these people to down tools and decide essentially how they want to face their deaths. Alone? With their families or friends? Maybe they'd prefer to off themselves before mother nature can? Maybe they'll do something they've never done before? A lot of scope for changing storylines.

Any opinions, suggestions, ideas etc welcome.

Last edited:
Im still here, but people to do writing is very thin. We have people wanting to film though, so if you could develop your idea, that would be great.

Rankles- Best idea i've seen yet! It probably has the best chance of success because it holds true to the idea essentially 5 longish shorts can be made anywhere and cut together to form a feature. From a logisitics standpoint, all you'd really need would be a script and the news footage all movies have to use. Say that you wrote the script, sectioned it into 5 individual shorts, and submitted it to Contemporary Vision, right? Ok- now, Kane can take those 5 scripts, post an open call to all filmmakers with the guidelines and requirments, and sit back and watch the filmmakers go. At the end of it all, the five best-done versions of the 5 stories can be selected and edited together. Entries that don't qualify can be broadcast online. Everybody is happy, and the big film can be scored by a group of independent musicians from around the globe (or whatever).
Just my two cents, but I think this idea hits the nail on the head for a project like this.

Awesome, well I'm glad you get what I'm proposing. I have started the script so after a few pages I'll send it to whoever wants to look it over and get an idea for what I'd potentially do.

EDIT - Wrote about ten pages of combined script but decided it would be easier to write the story's seperately so I broke them up. I've almost finished one where the lead character takes his hears the news and packs up some stuff, taking his ten year old son to somewhere they both enjoyed when growing up in the country. Whilst waiting for the end as such, the father decides its best to tell his son the reason why his mother isn't around any more and why they move around so much, despite him being a little too young to quite understand.

Last edited:
Back