Name some successful directors that didn't go to film school

Lol thanks.

I've met a couple of people who went to film school, but so far their methods of filmmaking is useless, when it comes to the microbudget world. They want to shoot for too long, then they can afford and play by video and audio rules, that one cannot afford on realistic locations either, as oppose to sets, and the list goes on. They only learned what to do, if making a big budget movie, so for micro, they are having to learn things they never learned in school.

So it seems that school is useless unless you have big budgets, but that could just be the school they went to, and not apply to everywhere.

Making a list of which successful directors did or did not attend film school is worthless.

The stat that would really be important would be how many directors who attended film school failed versus how many aspiring directors didn't attend film school and failed.

If a higher percentage of film school grads go on to achieve success in the industry when contrasted against those who bypassed film school, then you will know if there is value in film school.

Of course, you'll never get an accurate number on those stats.

I would tend to think that attending film school could only help. A talented director will always be a talented director, with or without school, but the question is would attending school make them a worse director?

Lol thanks.

I've met a couple of people who went to film school, but so far their methods of filmmaking is useless, when it comes to the microbudget world. They want to shoot for too long, then they can afford and play by video and audio rules, that one cannot afford on realistic locations either, as oppose to sets, and the list goes on. They only learned what to do, if making a big budget movie, so for micro, they are having to learn things they never learned in school.

So it seems that school is useless unless you have big budgets, but that could just be the school they went to, and not apply to everywhere.

Isn't the point of film school (or any school?) to teach you how to be a professional player in your industry? What the hell would be the point of going to school to learn how to swing a handycam around in a location you've begged for and only got a couple of hours to do anything in?
How could that possibly get you anywhere in the industry..?

I went to film school and haven't crewed on a 'micro-'budget film since I started there..

Can't say I'm unhappy about that fact.

Film school is great. You get a sense of how to manage money and crew, as well as handling equipment and staying on schedule. Even better, you make connections.

But I'd only do it if it's within your budget, and you have the money to go to a good film school. You can make connections other ways and fund a film with the money you already have.

But yes, film school is great if you have the money. It's always great to have more connections and experience.

Many of my favorite directors have gone to film school. Many of my favorite directors haven't gone to film school.

The title of this topic is filled with implicit survivor bias:
naming succesfull directors who didn't go to filmschool, doesn't mean that film school is useless or that 'you' don't need to go to filmschool.
Do you know any completely failed directors who didn't go to filmschool?
No, of course not, because they never got anything (good) out there.

It's like the paperboy who became millionaire: most paperboys don't get there at all...

The only interesting thing about this fact could be analysing the work of a few 'no film schoolers' and a few 'film schoolers' to see if there is a significant difference in style.

@ H44:
it takes 'production creativity' to work with microbudgets and it takes experience to plan well.
According to your questions here, you aren't that creative or experienced yet either. :P

I think it all depends on the situation.

I'm not going to be going to film school because I can't afford it. I will be going to a community college to take some classes as a fall back plan. They also offer some film classes that I'll be taking, so that I can learn some technical stuff and get to know other people in my area interested in film.

I don't think film school can hurt, but it certainly isn't a necessity. I think it really depends on what you want to do in the industry and the type of person you are. If you've never been very good at school it may be better just to skip film school. However, if you find it harder to self motivate yourself, you don't know anyone interested in film and you have always been a good student, it may be better to go to film school. You certainly don't need a degree in this industry. That's a fact. That said, a degree doesn't necessarily hurt either. I enjoyed my two years at film school, but ultimately felt it wasn't for me and dropped out, only to find that I was learning way more on sets and doing my own thing. Who knows. Whatever floats your boat. There's no right answer to this.

I don't think it would make sense to list successful directors that have gone to film school unless they have achieved success in recent years. Whether or not directors would have gone to film school with all of the info available to filmmakers today is debatable. It isn't worth it to go to a poor film school. Only go to film school if you have the money to go to a good one. Otherwise, invest that money into, perhaps, making a couple shorts or a feature.

But whether or not you should go to film school is incredibly debatable. Film school isn't a "one size fits all", both have their ups and downs, and for some people it's what they should do, and for others, they shouldn't. Personally, I think film school is for the unmotivated or those who are in locations with almost nobody around. In GOOD film schools, you must live and breathe film almost every day. In film school, you can build connections. Connections are especially good if you are in a location that is not active filmmaking-art-wise. In film school, you get a hands on experience of how to work with cast and crew, and you can even use that gear sometimes out of film school if the school allows it. You get to attend seminars and sometimes even Q&A's, which can be fun and informative. Although one could argue that you can build connections, work with cast and crew, get info on filmmaking from the internet, watch seminars on Youtube, and gain the same experience from just diving right in and making a feature yourself. The right answer? There isn't one, it depends upon you. :)

Back