Who is Your Favorite Director and Why?

I have a lot of favorites but I would have to say my all-time favorite is Paul Thomas Anderson. I have never been disappointed in anything he's made and his writing is always freaking genius. He also always gets great performances out of actors who you thought sucked and then of course when they make their next movie they do suck lol. Boogie Nights would prob be his masterpiece but I really enjoy everything he makes.

What about u guys?

Gilliam, hands down. By far.

Kubrick's up there, Coen Bros, too, lotta love for Spielberg. Whoever said John Waters, +1

Joe Wright is definitely worth mentioning, Hanna being his best work.

Not a fan at all of PT Anderson, big hater of Magnolia. Also have to disagree with the Hitchcock lovers, Rear Window is stupid.

Lotta other greats, too, these are my opinions of names I've seen cropping up here most

Rob Zombie, purely based on The Devil's Rejects (the ice cream scene is one of the most brilliant scenes in cinematic history).

Joss Whedon, based on everything he's ever done.

Kevin Smith, because he has yet to make a movie I hate (though I've refrained from watching Jersey Girl...)

JJ Abrams, because I love what he did with Star Trek.

Lars Von Trier is my current favourite.

An absolute master manipulator and joyful provocateur. The manor in which he switches between genres and styles but invents such a strong visual narrative for his films (or sets of films). Similar to Kubrick in that respect, who is another favourite.

Closely followed by Michael Haneke and then a huge swarm of oddbods follow those three..

For me it's Quentin Tarantino, Robert Rodriguez and the Coen Brothers because no matter what project they're directing, as an audience member what comes through is their sense of joy, fun and delight as filmmakers. I can respect Terence Malik, Stanley Kubrick, Martin Scorcese, etc. for their dedication to their craft and what they've achieved, but I'm a sucker for those that bring the same sense of childlike wonder to film that I had as a kid growing up watching movies on worn out VHS tapes. I would include David Lynch to that as well - he has a darker, more macabre sensibility, but one that I dig nonetheless - it's as if I can sense the giddy joy that few other filmmakers have to the same degree.

I have a couple, but Eric England is one of the first that comes to mind. Not only did he direct one of my favorite films (Madison County), but he has other projects that are soon-to-be released that look like they'll be very fun and entertaining. He also does a great job of keeping a solid fan base by responding to fan messages and such.

Other filmmakers who do the same thing are Victor Salva and Tim Ritter, who I also would mention as favorites.

I have a top 4 who each influence me as a filmmaker.

1. Charlie Chaplin - Always is able to make you laugh with a dramatic tear in your eye simultaneously

2. Alfred Hitchcock - Never backed down from making sure films were made his way with the highest amount of integrity, and went in to each shoot with a complete plan to the point where he didn't need to be on set since his plan was solid, he could have just handed it off to the camera op and said "Do this."

3. Tim Burton - Outside of the nostalgic factor of growing up with his movies, every film has his unique thumbprint on every frame. Without knowing anything about the movie, you know it's a Tim Burton movie just by looking at it. That's long lasting art.

4. Robert Rodriguez - I have learned how do do everything technical by watching Rodriguez. He changed the way movies are made by stepping out side of the box. Not only does he make movies, but he makes fun movies that are inherently unique. After watching Desperado on tv for the first time, I knew I wanted to make movies for the rest of my life, right in that moment.

I usually use something I have learned from each of these directors in all of my movies I direct. Good times.

Sergio Leone. He hasn't made the best movies ever per say, but a couple of darn great ones nonetheless. I mostly like his style and feel he brings to his movies, which I feel are shot and edited perfectly.

Back