Cannes... Who is going?

Hi all,

Just wondering who here plans to attend Cannes and for what purpose. Formulating plans for upcoming marketing and also, I am curiousl. :)

Every year. I've been going for 3 years now and had made great friends, contacts and sold a movie or two! This year: keeping in touch, having beers, plugging our next film, going to the Europe vs Rest of The World football match and having a bit of fun!!!

This will be my first time going. I went to AFM, and realized I was missing a huge pre-sale opportunity.So, for Cannes 2006 I am teaming up with a sales agent to try and score some financing in the form of pre-sales for our next film. Also, both of my completed features, Bloodshed and Deadroom will be represented for foreign sales! Yay!

So, what else is there to do other than the business side of things?

What are your goals for Cannes, Christine?

Cheers!

Party! Cannes night life is superb (but be warned very expensive... some friends went to a er gentlemans club and just a strip cost 350 Euro!!!) but the club at the Carlton Hotel is free to get in, okay priced and frequented by many stars.

That and sun bath but the weather has been dire the last few years.

I have a camp site that we use every year. They have bugalows just outside of Cannes. Very nice and at a price they will provide tarnsport. Its about 200 pw at can sleep 4-6 which if you work it out is cheap.

If your interested let me know and I'll pass on the details!

I won't be there this year. I am asking for information so that when I am ready to go in 2007, I am completely prepared. Building it into my business plan for the next two/three years. Until recently, I thought that it was beyond me financially. Now, I see it as crucial to overseas distribution opportunities.

Phil, please PM me with the information you have on that campground. Thanks!

Heard the Cannes Film Festival is taking film submissions and films will be selected by April.

Therefore i imagine there will be immense competition for selection in this world famous festival, so if your film is not selected what are the benefits of going to the Cannes Film Festival?

Apart from a nice beach with beautiful French girls...

Put simply I never go to the festival but to the market... thats where all the business is done, where films are bought and sold and where you can make your money.

The fetsival is nice to watch on TV but the market is where the business is done

So if one goes to the Cannes market to promote their latest film (or films) would you have to set up a promotion booth (if so where?) with postcards, posters, dvd trailers or a screening of the film, to generate business? Also is there a market for short films at Cannes?

"The Perfect Woman" (the first version) can be seen on www.ukscreen.com/screen/221
Currently i am working on "Airport 9/11" which is a true story about the supernatural...

Just found an interesting book "Cannes, a festival virgins guide" for filmmakers on an independent budget.
By Benjamin Craig.

Cannes film festival is 17th - 28th May 06 so what i shall do is go there and get a taste of what to expect first, as i have never been to France let alone Cannes.

Eddie Rex said:
So if one goes to the Cannes market to promote their latest film (or films) would you have to set up a promotion booth (if so where?) with postcards, posters, dvd trailers or a screening of the film, to generate business? Also is there a market for short films at Cannes?

"The Perfect Woman" (the first version) can be seen on www.ukscreen.com/screen/221
Currently i am working on "Airport 9/11" which is a true story about the supernatural...

No. In fact I'd say def not. take 100 or so DVD's (timecoded), check out the companies selling similar products and go and give them a screener. It's as simple as that. 99% of companies will view DVD's and that's how we picked up a sales agent.

As for shorts in the market they have a very good short film section. Don't know much about it but always very busy!

A Joker's Card supposed to be going to the film market for opportunities and also for The Rapture's teaser as well. speaking of which, should be up online tonight.

Back