IndieFlics Discussion moved to premeire forum...

CootDog, the site sounds like a great idea.
I'd be happy to help out however I can.
I'm curious what your plans are about site design, though. Wouldn't you need a custom coded system for purchasing and regulating the download of movies? Could be a tough job.

We'll need content

Since iTunes is used MASSIVELY and they only have a few Videos in the Video section, I'm approaching Itunes to allow this content to be streamed through iTunes and they would collect payment on those movies that are pay-to-see.

Then people would subscribe to the podcast for free, get trailers for free, and download movies for pay. But all would be availble to them...

And Clive is right, We'll need content.

So who would like to submit their movies? Do you want to get paid if someone views it? BUT that's a problem though... IF you submit your movie as a pay-to-see, you have to legally own the rights to show that movie. Meaning you need to have permission and releases and all that.

OK, I have two shorts (one is long for a short at 21 mins, but plans are in the works to recut it). The other is PERFECT for this "Killer Squirrel" (which over 600 people have viewed on line here in the last 70 or so days), is 2:37 and a great fit for this method.

I want to be paid if at all possible. After the last several years of draning our funds to make films, I am sure my spouse would appreciate an income trickle from me. I have all releases signed from actors and crew and musical permissions.

My newest one, "Rubble", may go that route too, but there's a distributor who wants to look at it first. The agreement is for non-exclusive rights for a limited time, so I can use it anyway I want even if they buy it.

Whatever I can do to help, Coot. I am in.

All your base are belong to us.

If you know that, you're geeked out, but it's ok... it's funny.

I'd be willing to put all my shorts on Indieflics for free... what do I got now.... erg.. there's "The Perfect Sandwich", "Bloody Hell", "Orange Crush" (though I'd have to just let the Toronto Film Challenge know I'm doing it before it goes up), "Hot Rod Fever" (a short infomercial for some hot rod guy from wreck-beach, Ontario), and Geoff W. Meech's "Skitch".

So there's 5 shorts you can get. Not supremo quality, but hey, it's free.

Now- what kind of encoding would these videos need? Would the filmmaker encode for web, or would they send uncompressed video to you (Coot) on DVD and you would compress the file?

Also, I think it would be neat to have each filmmaker who signs up, to have thier own individual (customizable) page, listing all thier work, biography, website, etc. Do you have plans for filmmaker profiles, kind of like what IMDB does with the "featured actor" function?

Thanks for the video's all.. I will definitely need more...

Yes, spatula, I do intend on having a page for each filmmaker and then having their films available for regular podcast and through iTunes. I plan to test some website specific stuff this weekend.

As for the videos, I have a question for you all. . What do YOU think would be better? Send them to me and I encode them, or you encode them and send it to me? OR just send it to me/upload it and I'll encode it for video Ipod/iTunes cast.

Please let me know your thoughts on the delivery.

Also, I am thinking that there will have to be release form holding Indieflics not responsible for damages due to the content of the videos distributed. Like if you use a song that you don't have clearence for AND you get paid for the video, YOU would be responsible for any legal action taken by the copyright owner.

OR should I request the release forms faxed to IndieFlics and we'll keep a file of every movie and their releases?

I know what I think but want to know what you all think, and a provider of content and from a sound business side as well.

For quality control issues, it would seem to make sense for the encoding to be done by one person/facility. Also, it's a service that Indieflics could provide which could eventually be an income source for the company.

As to releases, I think you do both- Two layers of protection is better. Require either uploaded documents, fax or snail mail from the filmmakers proving they have all permissions needed. Then shoot them back a release from IndieFlics. Nothing wrong with doing business to protect yourself.

In that vein, I assume that the agreement would be non-exclusive and we, the filmmakers would retain all rights to our work... right?

If a 'newbie' filmmaker hasn't learned to c-y-a with releases, this will help him/her to learn.

So there's my opinion.

Oh, and now I feel like a soul-less money-grubber for saying I'd like compensation for my shorts. :)
And yet, I still think we should take ourselves seriously as filmmakers/businesspeople FIRST or no one else will. That being said, for the sake of the start-up, I think that providing free content for a limited period of time, with some sort of agreement for payment after the company is "on its feet" is sensible too.

Don't feel like a grubby-grub, Christine... it totally depends what you want to do with your stuff.. I don't want to charge money for personal reasons, and because I never do any paperwork, so it'll lower my chances of getting sued for some of the carelessness with copyrights I always overlook.
Charging a nominal fee for a short is fine, because you're at least learning a bit of financing while doing it- as well as fundraising the next flick.

As for quality encoding, I would suggest having one person do it so it's consistent, and have the filmmakers send in DVDs, but I would still keep options open for filmmakers who can't send DVDs to submit thier work by uploading it to a web server (indiestorage, is it Coot?).

As for legal stuff, seriously, I'd get one of those "free 30min trial consultations" from a cheap-ass lawyer, and have a list of questions prepared, go into "Lighting Round" and try and get as many answers out of him as possible in the 30mins. I've heard stuff about "rights to online broadcast" but that's bullshit, because someone would have to own the internet as far as I'm concerned.... then again... All I really remember from the one law course I took was copying pages of notes (15-30) a day. I don't remember anything else but the constant scribbling- and I'm not slow either.

This sounds like a great idea (back on topic now). How would you work the podcasts?
How long would a video be featured for? Is it only featured once and then put in the "all videos" archives?
Would you focus more on the total collection of the video, or a feature at a time?
Would there be focus on more than one feature at once per week/month?
Who would these podcasts go to... subscribers of a newsletter type thing? Visitors?
Is whether the film costs money or not up to the filmmaker?
How will the website make money? Will you be selling ads?

OH MY... that's way too many questions, I got carried away. I apologize. I like companies that have an open policy, and tell you exactly how it works (even if it's simple math), so most employers hate me because I always tell the customer EXACTLY how he's being screwed. Makes my day.

I can't stay on topic.

Next weekend at our Cleveland Filmmakers meeting, our guest speaker is an entertainment attorney who works with Johnny Wu. If you want to detail your questions, I can likely get some of them answered next Sunday. :)

And Denis, I hate paperwork too, in fact paper is taking over my life and I want it gone. It is, however, here to stay I am afraid.

So, IM me or email me at lilith@cros.net with the questions you want to ask an attorney. I'll do my best. :)

Spatula said:
still keep options open for filmmakers who can't send DVDs to submit thier work by uploading it to a web server (indiestorage, is it Coot?).

Yes, infact I just purchased hosting at a great place. I'll try it out and see if they meet up to my standards. If so, the official IndieStorage.com site will be up really soon. I have helped over 20 people with storage challenges they were facing. Now it will officially be launched and more automated.

This sounds like a great idea (back on topic now). How would you work the podcasts?
How long would a video be featured for? Is it only featured once and then put in the "all videos" archives?
Would you focus more on the total collection of the video, or a feature at a time?
Would there be focus on more than one feature at once per week/month?
Who would these podcasts go to... subscribers of a newsletter type thing? Visitors?
Is whether the film costs money or not up to the filmmaker?
How will the website make money? Will you be selling ads?

OH MY... that's way too many questions

NO!!!:hmm: It's not a lot of questions. If you don't ask then I may not think of them.

This is to benefit us all so if you have questions, concerns, suggestions, etc... please speak up!

How would I work the podcasts? I would format the video podcast so it could be listed on iTunes. People will NOT need iTunes to subscribe to the podcast though.

Video featured... Well I was thinking of releasing a new film once a week, if possible. Basically when someone subscribes they will see the list of films they missed. They could DL them right then and there. If they want to subscribe, they will automatically get the latest film via DL, UNLESS if it's a pay. I don't think I can MAKE people DL a pay to see video.

The filmmaker will decide if they want to make money from it or not. IndieFlics.com will make money by a cut of the pay-to-see flics that are purchased and advertising, banner adds and the like.

I looked back and think that I dind't answer Lilith's question about the filmmaker retaining rights... By all means that's true. I mean they are YOUR films and if you get a distro deal, by all means I don't want to be the one to hinder that. Filmmakers retain all rights to their films.

Update:
I have procured a new webhost and will try them out and develop the site. It's gonna be a lot of work and as much input from the community would be greatly appreciated.

Back