• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Aristotle's Poetics

I was recommended to read Aristotle's Poetics as many screenwriting books are based on that. From my school library, I checked out "The Poetics of Aristotle" by S.H. Butcher published in 1902 by Macmillan and Co. It's too difficult for me to understand. When I looked in Amazon, looks like there are many versions of this book. I would like to know which one is easy to read and explained in somewhat layman terms.

Thanks.

Classical poems use rythm over rhyme.
As for translations of ancient literature: the most modern one is often the easiest to read.
English writings from 1902 are very different from 2018. Language evolves.
Plus there is a difference between a translation trying to keep the poetic form and a more unbound translation that just tries to tell exactly what he wrote disregarding the form.

(I had ancient Greek and Latin classes in high school.)

I've read that book! It is very difficult but it is explaining the basis of what a human wants to see on "screen". Even the modern Greek from Ancient Greek "translation" is not accurate on many parts because Aristotle is very difficult to understand and many words were used differently back then. So don't expect not to read 3 - 4 times every paragraph to understand it on any translation.

Back