• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

High action feature film

I have a question:

You need $500,000 to make this project big. What is your contingency if
you only raise, say, $25,000 or $50,000? What do you do with the money
you raise?

So.... I tried finding your short project, or you on IMDB and failed to do so. Perhaps I was looking for the wrong title?

Do you have any professorial people, such as name actors or experienced crew? From your IGG page it looks like you are working on a home grown project. For half a million bucks I would expect some people with a track record attached and i don't see any of that.

Your short is not bad per say, but on that alone I do not think you will get near half a million bucks. I could be wrong though.

Half a million $ is a whole lot of money for even an experienced filmmaker with a verifiable track record.

Good luck though.

So.... I tried finding your short project, or you on IMDB and failed to do so. Perhaps I was looking for the wrong title?

Do you have any professorial people, such as name actors or experienced crew? From your IGG page it looks like you are working on a home grown project. For half a million bucks I would expect some people with a track record attached and i don't see any of that.

Your short is not bad per say, but on that alone I do not think you will get near half a million bucks. I could be wrong though.

Half a million $ is a whole lot of money for even an experienced filmmaker with a verifiable track record.

Good luck though.

Every Short film is not on IMDB, but I am in the process of getting it on IMDb. I just released the short film yesterday. So it won't be on IMDb this soon anyway. $500,000 isn't a lot for a feature film. Especially for what I have planned for the project, But I'd like to thank you for checking out my project.

So I watched your short again. Like I said, not bad but there are issues.

-There appears to be a bit of stock footage. Ok for a one off short but when you are using that to try and get half a million dollars, I would only use footage I shot with exception being you are highlighting your DP which you would also credit on that.
-Sound is ok but there are deffinate spots where the actors were not recorded correctly.
-Dialouge. A few issues main being the guy asking about gathering firewood, in the middle of the day with everyone wearing t-shirts.

Now I do understand IMDB does not have every project up there, I have some credits that have not shown up yet and others that may not ever show up. Problem is that aside, unless you can provide a link to your profile I am not finding yourself. You are wanting people to give you half a million dollars but there is no verifiable track record that I can see. Another problem I see with your IGG is that outside of yourself there is no mention of any actors or crew that may be attached. One thing DOV says is to find your DP and use their reel to help get the money.

I have and still work with people, some with over 40 years, and over 100 credits verifiable on IDMB and they are not out there asking for half a million dollars.

There are several on IT that have made features for far less, even Sci-Fi so anything can be done for less.

I do wish you luck on it and if you get that money, I will be one of the first to congradulate you.

So I watched your short again. Like I said, not bad but there are issues.

-There appears to be a bit of stock footage. Ok for a one off short but when you are using that to try and get half a million dollars, I would only use footage I shot with exception being you are highlighting your DP which you would also credit on that.
-Sound is ok but there are definite spots where the actors were not recorded correctly.
-Dialogue. A few issues main being the guy asking about gathering firewood, in the middle of the day with everyone wearing t-shirts.

Now I do understand IMDB does not have every project up there, I have some credits that have not shown up yet and others that may not ever show up. Problem is that aside, unless you can provide a link to your profile I am not finding yourself. You are wanting people to give you half a million dollars but there is no verifiable track record that I can see. Another problem I see with your IGG is that outside of yourself there is no mention of any actors or crew that may be attached. One thing DOV says is to find your DP and use their reel to help get the money.

I have and still work with people, some with over 40 years, and over 100 credits verifiable on IDMB and they are not out there asking for half a million dollars.

There are several on IT that have made features for far less, even Sci-Fi so anything can be done for less.

I do wish you luck on it and if you get that money, I will be one of the first to congratulate you.

Budgets are strictly determined on assets that the producers have. Seeing that I'm an an indie film maker I probably don't have as much resources as they do. So it makes complete sense that I would request that amount to pull off my idea. I completely understand that you'd want to check sources, but if you knew all I went through to pull off the short film that I shot. I did the entire thing on no budget. I went through several actors that all decided to flake on me at the very last minute. Even on the day of the shoot i had one actor that decided not to show up at all and didn't say anything. No call or email. There were times when I thought that I wouldn't be able to shoot the short film at all and wanted to just give up, but I didn't. I had the weather cause issues multiple times, but through all of that I still pushed through made something that I stand behind. I have the determination and drive. All I need is the funds to help me make this dream a reality. I would like to thank you for you're input though.

but if you knew all I went through to pull off the short film that I shot.
Every one of us has had the exact same experience so we ALL know what
you went through; no money, actors who flake on the day of the shoot,
times when we wanted to give up, bad weather on the day of the shoot,
self doubt. Your story isn't unusual - it is standard and very typical.

You are correct, half a million isn't a lot for a feature, especially for what
you have planned, but asking for half a million dollars using flexible funding
is unrealistic. Just as unrealistic as your previous attempt to get three
million. You don't seem to have the experience to make that money work
for what you have planned.

Two more questions:
Do you have a full, complete, line item budget finished?
What is your contingency if you raise, say, $2,500 to $5,000?

Budgets are strictly determined on assets that the producers have. Seeing that I'm an an indie film maker I probably don't have as much resources as they do. So it makes complete sense that I would request that amount to pull off my idea. I completely understand that you'd want to check sources, but if you knew all I went through to pull off the short film that I shot. I did the entire thing on no budget. I went through several actors that all decided to flake on me at the very last minute. Even on the day of the shoot i had one actor that decided not to show up at all and didn't say anything. No call or email. There were times when I thought that I wouldn't be able to shoot the short film at all and wanted to just give up, but I didn't. I had the weather cause issues multiple times, but through all of that I still pushed through made something that I stand behind. I have the determination and drive. All I need is the funds to help me make this dream a reality. I would like to thank you for you're input though.

Congratulations on finishing one short.
My advice would be to make at least 2 more shorts to
1) Create a larger portfolio, so you are more believable.*
2) Get to know more people who might be suitable for this project**
3) Get more experience, otherwise you will choke on your feature. Like directorik says: everyone has been there with no money, flakers and bad weather. A lot of people in here have been there multiple times.

*) A larger portfolio means you can maybe build a (small fanbase), so you have a crowd to start with. With a crowd o start with, you could have started with a softlaunch ensuring that you'll start with raising money on day 1.

**) If you can attach talented people to your project it will look more feasable than when you are alone.
AND: a committed team will increase your reach with crowdfunding.

You are 1 week into crowdfunding and you have raised $0,-

My questions are:
- What did you do to get attention?
- Didn't you tell friends and family?
- What did you do to prepare the campaign?

In your other thread I said people go through a few question before funding:

1- People need to think your project is awesome.
2 - And then you need to convince them you can do it.
3 - Next they'll look what is in it for them, so your perks must be worth it.

To me this project is a bit too much 'pie in the sky', as I don't think you have the skills yet to pull it off.
I watched 1 minute and saw an amature video. The voice-over track is cut off horribly. The sequence with the black parts shows you have no clue yet about editing such a sequence. You just cut 1 shot in multiple pieces and moved them away from each other on the timeline.
I understand what style you were going for, but I also see that you think the style is about the black video in between instead of about panic, flashes and the passing of time. Watch your inspirations again and analyze it.

I don't mean to discourage you, I just think you need to do a few more smaller steps, before people will think they can trust you with their money. You took a bold step, because you have a dream. But it looks like you are overreaching. So it is time to build your dreams with smaller steps.

Besides that: flexible funding sounds too much like "I'll take what I can get and then we'll see what happens", while people want to support something solid. Imagine you'll do flexible funding for an amazing car, but you only raise 1% and the ones who did back you will never see that car, but 1 tire only.

Last edited:
Every one of us has had the exact same experience so we ALL know what
you went through; no money, actors who flake on the day of the shoot,
times when we wanted to give up, bad weather on the day of the shoot,
self doubt. Your story isn't unusual - it is standard and very typical.

You are correct, half a million isn't a lot for a feature, especially for what
you have planned, but asking for half a million dollars using flexible funding
is unrealistic. Just as unrealistic as your previous attempt to get three
million. You don't seem to have the experience to make that money work
for what you have planned.

Two more questions:
What is your contingency if you raise, say, $2,500 to $5,000?

That's not the whole story it's just a fraction of it. I want to stay true to the story without having to compromise a single detail of the story. That's why my budget is what it is. I have one question for you ? If my campaign wasn't flexible funding. Would you contribute to my campaign ?

Congratulations on finishing one short.
My advice would be to make at least 2 more shorts to
1) Create a larger portfolio, so you are more believable.*
2) Get to know more people who might be suitable for this project**
3) Get more experience, otherwise you will choke on your feature. Like directorik says: everyone has been there with no money, flakers and bad weather. A lot of people in here have been there multiple times.

*) A larger portfolio means you can maybe build a (small fanbase), so you have a crowd to start with. With a crowd o start with, you could have started with a softlaunch ensuring that you'll start with raising money on day 1.

**) If you can attach talented people to your project it will look more feasable than when you are alone.
AND: a committed team will increase your reach with crowdfunding.

You are 1 week into crowdfunding and you have raised $0,-

My questions are:
- What did you do to get attention?
- Didn't you tell friends and family?
- What did you do to prepare the campaign?

In your other thread I said people go through a few question before funding:

1- People need to think your project is awesome.
2 - And then you need to convince them you can do it.
3 - Next they'll look what is in it for them, so your perks must be worth it.

To me this project is a bit too much 'pie in the sky', as I don't think you have the skills yet to pull it off.
I watched 1 minute and saw an amature video. The voice-over track is cut off horribly. The sequence with the black parts shows you have no clue yet about editing such a sequence. You just cut 1 shot in multiple pieces and moved them away from each other on the timeline.
I understand what style you were going for, but I also see that you think the style is about the black video in between instead of about panic, flashes and the passing of time. Watch your inspirations again and analyze it.

I don't mean to discourage you, I just think you need to do a few more smaller steps, before people will think they can trust you with their money. You took a bold step, because you have a dream. But it looks like you are overreaching. So it is time to build your dreams with smaller steps.

Besides that: flexible funding sounds too much like "I'll take what I can get and then we'll see what happens", while people want to support something solid. Imagine you'll do flexible funding for an amazing car, but you only raise 1% and the ones who did back you will never see that car, but 1 tire only.

Thank You for your advice, but you know what is kind of funny to me is that when I was looking for help no one was trying to help me. I decided that I couldn't just wait around for someone to make my dream come true. I had to do it myself. maybe I should turn the whole thing into a series instead so everyone can see it little by little.

That's not the whole story it's just a fraction of it.
I know that. Remember you are communicating with filmmakers. We have
ALL gone through exactly what you are going through. And each of us had
to overcome various challenges. We understand where you're coming from,
we all know what you went through to get this one short film made.

I want to stay true to the story without having to compromise a single detail of the story. That's why my budget is what it is.
I understand that. I have always wanted enough money so I don't need to
compromise a single detail. So far I've never gotten that. I have had to
compromise on every feature (and short) I have made. All of us here have
had to compromise.

My point (and Walter's point - if I may speak for him) is what you are asking
is unreasonable. We all understand what you have gone through and what
you want to do because we ALL are just like you; we are ALL your fellow
filmmakers. You have the dream, you have the creative vision, you have the
passion but you do not have the following to raise $500,000 and you have
not shown that you have the experience to manage a $500,000 budget.

I have one question for you ? If my campaign wasn't flexible funding. Would you contribute to my campaign ?
Yes.

How about answering MY questions.

Thank You for your advice, but you know what is kind of funny to me is that when I was looking for help no one was trying to help me. I decided that I couldn't just wait around for someone to make my dream come true. I had to do it myself. maybe I should turn the whole thing into a series instead so everyone can see it little by little.

I'm not sure whether you mean nobody on IT was trying to help or just in general.
If you are talking about IT:
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=60921
Quite some advice, although some is pretty harsh.
You have been given the link to the threat with dozens of stories about campaign gone right or wrong which contains dozens of insights on crowdfunding. Have you read it already?

If you are talking about getting actual help in making your short.
It gets easier once you have finished more than 1 project, because you have more to show for and because you'll have more experience and a larger network then.

I'm not suggesting to wait untill someone else makes your dream come true.
Exactly the opposite: I'm suggesting you take back control by making more shorts to train your skills, expand your network, grow a fanbase and become credible as the producer of your dream.
As it is now, your crowdfunding actually is like waiting for someone else to make your dreams come true.

As for getting help on your current campaign:
What have you done so far, besides making the short and setting up the IGG page?
Who did you tell about it?
How many people are in 'your crowd'?
Did you release press releases?
What social media did you use?
Without this it is hard to offer advice for your next campaign.

Yes, I say your NEXT campaign, because I think the conversion rate of your current campaign is close to 0. Which means that it seems unlikely that more than 1 out of every 1000 visitor will back you.
Crowdfunding is also a numbers game: if an average backer gives you $25 how many backers do you need?
If out of every 100 visitors 5 a likely to back you: how many people do you need to draw to you IGG page to get it 100% funded?
So what is you strategy?
Do you have the follow to pulls this off?
Do you have a plan to attract traffic, besides your affiliate score idea?
Or is it a message in a bottle thrown into the digital ocean, hoping to be found be the 1 person with the money and desire to fund this?

Imagine I gave you that $500k today. (Unfortunately I don't have it, lol)
Are you ready for the task to make your dream live up to your vision and my expectations?
Or would it be wiser to make a few very short shorts to learn faster?
I've made several shorts that only last 1 to 4 minutes. They took 1 or 2 days to shoot. I made them to try things, have fun, get to know more people and to build a small local fanbase.

I might seem a little harsh, but I'm trying to show you a route to your dreams where you take control. :)

@Rik: permission granted ;)
That is indeed my point.

I know that. Remember you are communicating with filmmakers. We have
ALL gone through exactly what you are going through. And each of us had
to overcome various challenges. We understand where you're coming from,
we all know what you went through to get this one short film made.

I understand that. I have always wanted enough money so I don't need to
compromise a single detail. So far I've never gotten that. I have had to
compromise on every feature (and short) I have made. All of us here have
had to compromise.

My point (and Walter's point - if I may speak for him) is what you are asking
is unreasonable. We all understand what you have gone through and what
you want to do because we ALL are just like you; we are ALL your fellow
filmmakers. You have the dream, you have the creative vision, you have the
passion but you do not have the following to raise $500,000 and you have
not shown that you have the experience to manage a $500,000 budget.

Yes.

How about answering MY questions.

I completely agree with what you said about having to compromise on somethings. Because I had to do that with the short. but know that is why I want extra room to be able to tell the story right, so the audience can receive the full affect of the storyline. I want to thank you also for your advice on everything.

Yes. I do.

I have plans on doing a local campaign also to help contribute to what I'd raise online. but if I don't reach the goal, then I'll be turning the project into a series instead.

I'm not sure whether you mean nobody on IT was trying to help or just in general.
You have been given the link to the threat with dozens of stories about campaign gone right or wrong which contains dozens of insights on crowdfunding. Have you read it already?

It gets easier once you have finished more than 1 project, because you have more to show for and because you'll have more experience and a larger network then.

Exactly the opposite: I'm suggesting you take back control by making more shorts to train your skills, expand your network, grow a fanbase and become credible as the producer of your dream.
As it is now, your crowdfunding actually is like waiting for someone else to make your dreams come true.

What have you done so far, besides making the short and setting up the IGG page?

Yes, I say your NEXT campaign, because I think the conversion rate of your current campaign is close to 0. Which means that it seems unlikely that more than 1 out of every 1000 visitor will back you.
Crowdfunding is also a numbers game: if an average backer gives you $25 how many backers do you need?
If out of every 100 visitors 5 a likely to back you: how many people do you need to draw to you IGG page to get it 100% funded?
So what is you strategy?
Or is it a message in a bottle thrown into the digital ocean, hoping to be found be the 1 person with the money and desire to fund this?

Are you ready for the task to make your dream live up to your vision and my expectations?
I've made several shorts that only last 1 to 4 minutes. They took 1 or 2 days to shoot. I made them to try things, have fun, get to know more people and to build a small local fanbase.

I might seem a little harsh, but I'm trying to show you a route to your dreams where you take control. :)

That is indeed my point.

No. I appreciate the feedback. It truly does help me. If I received all the funds today. I could execute my project to perfection, but that's always your biggest issues as a indie film maker is getting the funds for your project. One thing I would like to ask you though is besides making more short films. How would you go about building a fan base ?

You need content to gain fans.
Intention is not enough.
That is why making more shorts is in my opinion essential to get your name out there to start with.

These questions are still essential as well:
How many people are in 'your crowd'? (amount of followers on Twitter/Instagram, likes on facebook, subscribers on YouTube, connections on LinkedIn, number of people on your mailinglist)

Budgets are strictly determined on assets that the producers have.
What? That makes no sense. As directorrik was asking, do you have a line item budget? I can throw up numbers all day for my budgets but the don't mean jack without the details.

Seeing that I'm an an indie film maker I probably don't have as much resources as they do. So it makes complete sense that I would request that amount to pull off my idea.

if you knew all I went through to pull off the short film that I shot. I did the entire thing on no budget.
As others have stated, we have all been there done that.

I went through several actors that all decided to flake on me at the very last minute. Even on the day of the shoot i had one actor that decided not to show up at all and didn't say anything. No call or email.
Happens all the time on low budget stuff, even on high budget stuff. Nothing special there. I had a shoot where a guy was supposed to bring a Cop car, a Deloreon and several cop uniforms Did not show. Had to do a quick rewrite on set to get the thing done.

There were times when I thought that I wouldn't be able to shoot the short film at all and wanted to just give up, but I didn't.
That is good. Congrats on that. You sometimes have to have great staying power in this game.

I have the determination and drive. All I need is the funds to help me make this dream a reality.
Welcome to the club. I have several project I am working on. They may never be produced but I keep driving on them. Meantime I help out other people on their projects. I have no problem with working any spot so I will work grip or whatever. I currently work gaffer on a web series which the last episode was shot for network (4k and half hour episode). FYI I am posting my profile below. Does not include the Bail Out episodes I have worked on or all the mexican features I worked on.

Again Good luck.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2872123/?ref_=fn_al_nm_5

So what is you strategy?

That is indeed my point.

You need content to gain fans.
Intention is not enough.
That is why making more shorts is in my opinion essential to get your name out there to start with.

These questions are still essential as well:
How many people are in 'your crowd'? (amount of followers on Twitter/Instagram, likes on facebook, subscribers on YouTube, connections on LinkedIn, number of people on your mailinglist)

I understand that. One thing I keep thinking though is short films take money to produce. A lot of the time your never able to get all the funds you need. One thing I don't want to have to do is compromise my story line each time. Then you get a rep for half assing things. which won't help. but thanks for the advice.

The money I spent on shorts range from $50 to $600.
The rest is borrowed and volunteered.
Plus I put my time in it: sometimes weeks.

Are they perfect?
No.
Do they look half assed. No :)
They did add better things to my portfolio, opening new possibilities in the future and I learned a lot from it, improving my skills.

To learn to think big effectively, you need to learn small as well. Keep shorts simple: simple in concept, so you won't need a huge concept. Use them to explore ideas, to create certain atmospheres, to tell a little joke, experiment with lighting, do a hommage/parody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeGqRVkE0AE
This was shot in one long day.
I never met the actors or makeup artist before this day: I just asked them, explained my idea AND showed my portfolio. (The caucasian male happened to be an actor who stars in many commercials, but I didn't even know that at the time. After that I can't escape seeing him everywhere on TV, billboards and in magazines, lol) Since then we worked together multiple times.
There are mistakes in this video, btw: silly things like an actor not carrying a flashlight, because I didn't write it down in the storyboard, so I forgot it at the end of the long day. ( <- This seems obvious, but as long as you haven't made that mistake, you haven't really learnt that lesson. And there a many more that you should learn before pulling off your dream.)

I paid them travelexpenses, the mua I paid extra for the use of her materials, I paid for food and the catsuit. One of my friends brought his lights. I brought slider, tripods, boom, mic and camera. I used my parents living room as 3 different locations.

It can be done.
(Ignore the licencing of the music: that did cost more than the rest. Use affordable stockmusic!)
It will cost you something, but it won't be a waste at all. It is a lot cheaper than your feature and making shorts will save your feature money, because you will make mistakes and learn from them before wasting half a million dollars on errors that could have been avoided by spending a few hundred dollars and some time.
I understand you are eager.
That is good.
Just don't bite off more than you can chew, please.

Think of short ideas that are in your grasp budget-wise, gear wise, crew wise and location wise.
If you can't rent the Taj Mahal, don't put it in the script ;)

I've got an idea to shoot in Venice, Italy, but I can't afford that now. So I focus on other things now, that might bring that possibilty closer.

Btw, you have an interesting way of anwsering questions: it feels more like ignoring it, because you just say you understand. But how can anyone point to things you need to put some extra attetion to if you don't share details?

The money I spent on shorts range from $50 to $600.
The rest is borrowed and volunteered.
Plus I put my time in it: sometimes weeks.

Are they perfect?
No.
Do they look half assed. No :)
They did add better things to my portfolio, opening new possibilities in the future and I learned a lot from it, improving my skills.

To learn to think big effectively, you need to learn small as well. Keep shorts simple: simple in concept, so you won't need a huge concept. Use them to explore ideas, to create certain atmospheres, to tell a little joke, experiment with lighting, do a hommage/parody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeGqRVkE0AE
This was shot in one long day.
I never met the actors or makeup artist before this day: I just asked them, explained my idea AND showed my portfolio. (The caucasian male happened to be an actor who stars in many commercials, but I didn't even know that at the time. After that I can't escape seeing him everywhere on TV, billboards and in magazines, lol) Since then we worked together multiple times.
There are mistakes in this video, btw: silly things like an actor not carrying a flashlight, because I didn't write it down in the storyboard, so I forgot it at the end of the long day. ( <- This seems obvious, but as long as you haven't made that mistake, you haven't really learnt that lesson. And there a many more that you should learn before pulling off your dream.)

I paid them travelexpenses, the mua I paid extra for the use of her materials, I paid for food and the catsuit. One of my friends brought his lights. I brought slider, tripods, boom, mic and camera. I used my parents living room as 3 different locations.

It can be done.
(Ignore the licencing of the music: that did cost more than the rest. Use affordable stockmusic!)
It will cost you something, but it won't be a waste at all. It is a lot cheaper than your feature and making shorts will save your feature money, because you will make mistakes and learn from them before wasting half a million dollars on errors that could have been avoided by spending a few hundred dollars and some time.
I understand you are eager.
That is good.
Just don't bite off more than you can chew, please.

Think of short ideas that are in your grasp budget-wise, gear wise, crew wise and location wise.
If you can't rent the Taj Mahal, don't put it in the script ;)

I've got an idea to shoot in Venice, Italy, but I can't afford that now. So I focus on other things now, that might bring that possibilty closer.

Btw, you have an interesting way of anwsering questions: it feels more like ignoring it, because you just say you understand. But how can anyone point to things you need to put some extra attetion to if you don't share details?

I'm not ignoring anything. I'm taking everything you've said into consideration. I'm a little confused to what you mean about sharing details. I have shared details. But again what you've have shared is usual information and I'd like to thank you for it. :)

Back