movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Jurassic World. I was sitting there thinking that it was a C movie. But then the end came along and did wow me a bit. So, I think it's a C movie with an A ending. Maybe that makes it a C+ or a B- for me?

My First Mister. Grade A for me. If you are a professional critic, or are otherwise constitutionally opposed to sentimentality, then fuhgeddaboudit. But if you are like me, this is the good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E24SGpVrs-s

Primer 4/5 I was really impressed with how bad some of the shots were and yet the story still being compelling.

Inside Out. This is good quality Pixar fare. A- for me.

Advantageous
I was liking it better, before the reveal occurred, than I ultimately would. I'm still sort of debating it. I think the premise was quite interesting. But once the reveal of what's really going on happened, it undermined that interesting premise and I had a difficult time accepting it. Naturally, that undermines the movie as a whole for me, as well. Still, it has some good things going for it. It had more potential. It could of been a contender. The build-up was nice. The would-be payoff was a fumble. So maybe I'll give it a B-. I don't regret watching it. I do regret that it didn't turn out better.

Surface.....8/10
The CGI leaves something to be desired. But if you can get past that, it's a good show. I got hooked and couldn't stop watching. Maybe because I liked the actors and the characters they play, especially Lake Bell and Rade Serbedzija. Not glad they cancelled it.

Ascension.....8/10
This is quite a good show. Sadly, they're not going to make any more episodes of this one, either. But it's worthwhile as an "event series."

Last edited:
Knock Knock - Supposed to be a horror but just a sexy thriller with a bit of comedy very quirky and enjoyable 7/10

Spy - Comedy with a cast I was unsure about about but surprisingly enjoyable 7/10

Jurasic World - Brilliant sequal of an all time classic 8/10

Jurassic Park - Forgot how good it was great musical score and acting 9/10

Close Encounters - Not really for me 6/10

Blue Valentine - Starts a little bit slowly but gripping acting and a beautiful love story that feels a lot more real than a lot of other films 8/10

Drive - Really enjoyed this the second time of watching very good film. 9/10

Terminator 1,2,3, and Salvation - Really enjoyed all. As a series 9/10

Mad Max: Fury Road - Better than the original for me. 8/10

Planet of the Apes (Original) - class film. 8/10

Last edited:
Chunking Express 1/5

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with time magazine's top 100 films of all time? There is so much terrible crap on here.

I'm not excited at all by any movies on their list. The last bunch have all bored me half to death. Fortunate I never watched two in a row.

The Signal

It was shot and acted very well. The cinematography was about on par with Whiplash. Both films were around the $3 to $4 million dollar mark, which proves that you can get a solid movie with at least one name star made for a comparatively tiny amount. Great set design. Brenten Thwaits was much better here than he was in The Giver. And the twists I honestly did not expect, even though I continued to think of every possible outcome that I could. So they wrote very good misdirection into the script.

I would give it a 7.5/10 or a B. Very glad that I finally checked it out.

Now I have to go take a look at It Follows.

Wings of Desire 2/5

Not as bad as the others from time magazines "top 100". The first half was okay.
The final act left me aggravated at how stupidly unrealistic and fake it was.

I did enjoy the fact that the first thing the angel does as a human is to immediately start doing drugs. Your choice of anything out of the whole human experience.. yup lets do some drugs.

Last edited:
Best main stream film I watched recently was probably 'The Raid 2'

Stunning fight sequences that wowed me all the way through, along with weapons such as hammers, knives, baseball bats, and the guy with the machete going through people one handed without really f**king them up was a stunning way to introduce the concept that this character was dangerous and controlled.

Storyline was a little weak but I forgot to care about that with all the fighting.

These Final Hours. This is really nice if you like apocalyptic movies. It's sort of like
Deep Impact
Lite. A

Creep. Fairly good. Someone described it as the first Mumblecore horror film. Worth watching.

The Immortalists. Pretty good documentary about some pretty interesting people.

The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness. This is really nice. A

Mushi-Shi. Haven't seen all of them so far. Not a big consumer of anime. But this is a nice exercise of imagination and emotion.

Comic Book Men Season 3. More fun with the Comic Book Men. I think Netflix added Season 3 a bit sneakily with no fanfare. Only just noticed they had it. Enjoyed it.

Mission Impossible Rogue Nation. Really good. Quite entertaining. Probably not quite as good as MI3, but pushing close, almost neck and neck. A

It Follows. Finally saw this. Pretty decent. Clever premise. B

Eat with Me. Some low budget issues (some of the audio and some of the camera work), but it's a charmer. I liked it. A-

Byzantium. A pretty good vampire flick. Neil Jordon, so. 8.5/10

October Gale. Fairly decent. 7/10

Infini. Pretty decent sci-fi fix.
Aliens
meets
The Thing
meets
Solaris
. 7.5/10

Ex Machina. It's good. It's quite decent. But I don't know why Peter Travers wrote: "You've never seen anything like it. Oh baby, you have no idea." And I don't know why Lindsey Bahr wrote: "Necessary and unforgettable. Ex Machina is a classic." And Matt Patches wrote: "The year's best sci-fi movie." What I mean is, it didn't live up to the hype, not for me. But with rave reviews like that, expectations were running pretty high. I'm certainly not knocking it. But there's some hyperbole going on around the film as far as I'm concerned. I liked it and recommend it. But I have to say, yes, I do very much think we've seen quite a bit like it before, that's all. But hey, the more the merrier.

Pontypool. I thought it was fairly good. I didn't realize what genre it was going in. Yeah, it is a bit claustrophobic. But I liked the players, and it's a pretty decent zombie flick. If you watch it, stay until the end of the credits...if you liked it and liked the actors, I mean; there's a cute little thing at the end, like they have on some Marvel films.

Last edited:
Tenshi no Tamago (Angel's Egg). Ah, what just happened? Not sure what the story is, but it's nice to look at, nice art, nice sense of mystery. Really impressed with the animation of water, the shadows, of which the film is replete. Maybe an 8.5.

The Trouble with Angels. Oh my God: the original Harry Potter. Sort of. Maybe a 9.

This thread hasn't gotten much use lately!
Ive been watching the old Taxi tv show. Saw the first two seasons now, it's great.

Day of Anger:
I really enjoyed this, but I guess the biggest issue is that I tend to gravitate towards more eccentric spaghettis once outside of Leone. Pretty normal fare, but handled well and a lot of fun.
6/10

Cut Throat Nine:
Snowy euro-western = dope. Extremely bleak outlook, depressing, bloody, nihilistic. Everything I love in a movie.
9/10

Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx
Solid, pulpy samurai movie. Some really interestingly shot scenes (in one fight scene, you just see pieces of the victim landing on the ground, instead of the actual fight. Rather odd). Ogami Itto is bad ass.
8/10

Hunger Games: Mickingjay Part 2 - 8/10 I may be bias because I read the books, but I thought it was a great way to end the series. It did drag compared to a lot of other series' but still good.

Star Wars The Force Awakens - 10/10 Again another fan-boy biased review, but just based off the story, the development of both the new comers Fin and Rey, the fact that it was shot on film rather than digitally. Can't complain at all, great mix of comedy in between the seriousness of the matter. Looking forward to 8 and 9.

Star Wars was fantastic, it was exactly what I wanted it to be. It also scores points for having great roles for women, and proper women to, not the usual kind of film women who wear inappropriate shoes and fall over a lot.
Is it true that Daniel Craig is in it?

Back