• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Memory loss Plot

In the middle of making a short, about a father who lost all memory of a son that he resents, and the son wants to regain his father's memory through a car that they once had and worked on all during the early stages of the son's life before their relationship got bad. Having problems ending it, with obviously the father regaining his memory, but deciding whether he is still resentful, or has love for his son. Any questions and or ideas would be great. Planning on making this no longer than 10-15 minutes, but doing a lot of research on amnesia, alzheimers, etc.

First of, I think the premise of your short is great and very relatable. I heard a lot of stories about people losing loved ones to Alzheimers and how heartbreaking it is for those people.

You write that the father resented the son before he lost his memory. Do you intend to elaborate on why he resented his son? (lifestyle choice, dissapointment, etc.)

I'm guessing the son wants to regain the relationship he had with his father when he was younger, before the resentment began?

In my opinion, I would have the son succesed in restoring the fathers memories and all is well. But at the very end, hint that the father begins to resent his son again. Like history repeating itself. Like it was always meant to go that way.

So yeah, bittersweet ending.

anyway, good luck with the short :)

Sorry for the late reply guys!

go with bitter sweet, a personal choice.

Leaning more towards it. Thanks for the input!

First of, I think the premise of your short is great and very relatable. I heard a lot of stories about people losing loved ones to Alzheimers and how heartbreaking it is for those people.

You write that the father resented the son before he lost his memory. Do you intend to elaborate on why he resented his son? (lifestyle choice, dissapointment, etc.)

I'm guessing the son wants to regain the relationship he had with his father when he was younger, before the resentment began?

In my opinion, I would have the son succesed in restoring the fathers memories and all is well. But at the very end, hint that the father begins to resent his son again. Like history repeating itself. Like it was always meant to go that way.

So yeah, bittersweet ending.

anyway, good luck with the short :)

Being that I want to make it around max 10 minutes, I do plan to elaborate through flashbacks to the moment where the resentment first developed.

And that sounds like a great idea also. The history repeating itself factor is interesting.

Appreciate the input!

Back