New film i found on kickstarter

Welcome to IT, Sarah.
How convenient you 'found' a film on kickstarter that is almost done and needs funding for the music.
And great you stumbled upon on IT to post it :P
Sounds like the film this guy was working on:
http://www.indietalk.com/member.php?u=31963

You're gonna give someone crap for some pr or whatever Looking back you were the one who wanted to see that trailer so whats the problem? you don't like it? really? .I don't know why you assume but your coming across as a hypocrite. lol

it looks really interesting..

It might be a terrific movie. The problem I have is the lie told. I am
thrilled to learn of new movies. I love hearing success stories from
fellow filmmakers. What I dislike is being mislead.

Ms. Todd signed up today and posted twice about this movie; a movie
she “found”. Why not be honest? What does this lie do? Does it make
me more likely to donate? We here at indietalk admire filmmaker who
are working hard to make a movie. Most of us feel mislead with this kind
of announcement.

She did not just find this movie and then happen to find indietalk. She
did some research, found several film forums and used a misleading
method to announce a project she is very likely connected to in some way.
I would prefer to be treated with respect. Perhaps that comes across to you,
Liam, as hypocritical.

To Sarah; be proud that you are connected to a wonderful project. Promote
it to indietalk with honesty. Treat us all the a little respect.

Yeah, I wanted to see that trailer indeed.
I guess you don't see the irony in my comment about finding it...
I'm not giving anyone crap.
You need to lighten up a bit, you are way too explosive.
Btw, having 3 or more names on the same forum: that IS coming across as a hypocrite :P

There is nothing wrong with some PR.
Just don't pretend to have 'found' a kickstarter project. It's crap that you think someone would believe that in the first post of a new member.
There is nothing wrong with saying: 'I worked on this project', 'a friend of mine...'
That would at least be honest.
There is nothing wrong with being proud to be part of a project.

Yes, my guess was indeed it is your project, Aaron.
And yes, I've always been curious about it.
For 2 reasons:
- I am always curious what fellow filmmakers on IT are up to
- You showcased a pretty bold attitude when it comes to the quality of your work compared to the rest of the world

Every first poster coming on any forum claiming to have found a 'thing' on kickstarter or anywhere else can expect the same irony. I am pretty consistent and not hypocritical with that. You came to promote/sell something: perfect. Just don't pretend to have found it.
Never underestimate your audience: don't lie to them.

About the trailer.
I didn't say anything about it, because it was only 'found' :P and I wasn't 100% sure I connected all the dots correctly.

Now you are back here under yet another name:
it's not as fantastic as you told everyone it would be.
Why?
It comes across as a random collection of shots.
Cutting trailers is not simple: you want to evoke curiousity and at the same time not give everything away.
Just picking some 'dramatic shots' mixing them with walking/staring doesn't equate an interesting trailer. To you it might be clear, but I've got no clue what this movie is about. (Except that it is a manic-depressive bi-polar drama. In the project discription you talk about strange symptoms and phenomena: that can be trailer gold if you use it.)

From the sideline it is always easy to comment (I'm the first to acknowledge that), but I think the trailer has a few 'problems':
- lack of conflict (due to seemingly randomness)
- the music is pretty cliché and it somehow forced you into a way too long montage.
- the first shot screams 'amateur': it is shaking extremely while walking
- The dialogue at the end... I think it would work better (somewhere) in the beginning: that would at least raise a question with the viewer.
- It might be a bit too on the nose, but if you structure the trailer more in a way where manic and depression have their place you can at least create the emotional drama in the conflict.

Fortunately, a bad trailer can still be a good movie and vice versa.
Although a good trailer helps selling your campaign and your movie.
It may be unfair, but when I'm picking 'unknown movies', I do look at the trailer and so do many others.

Good luck with the campaign.
Keep me (and the rest) posted on where and when the movie will be screened: as I said: I'm always curious.

Yeah, I wanted to see that trailer indeed.
I guess you don't see the irony in my comment about finding it...
I'm not giving anyone crap.
You need to lighten up a bit, you are way too explosive.
Btw, having 3 or more names on the same forum: that IS coming across as a hypocrite :P

There is nothing wrong with some PR.
Just don't pretend to have 'found' a kickstarter project. It's crap that you think someone would believe that in the first post of a new member.
There is nothing wrong with saying: 'I worked on this project', 'a friend of mine...'
That would at least be honest.
There is nothing wrong with being proud to be part of a project.

Yes, my guess was indeed it is your project, Aaron.
And yes, I've always been curious about it.
For 2 reasons:
- I am always curious what fellow filmmakers on IT are up to
- You showcased a pretty bold attitude when it comes to the quality of your work compared to the rest of the world

Every first poster coming on any forum claiming to have found a 'thing' on kickstarter or anywhere else can expect the same irony. I am pretty consistent and not hypocritical with that. You came to promote/sell something: perfect. Just don't pretend to have found it.
Never underestimate your audience: don't lie to them.

About the trailer.
I didn't say anything about it, because it was only 'found' :P and I wasn't 100% sure I connected all the dots correctly.

Now you are back here under yet another name:
it's not as fantastic as you told everyone it would be.
Why?
It comes across as a random collection of shots.
Cutting trailers is not simple: you want to evoke curiousity and at the same time not give everything away.
Just picking some 'dramatic shots' mixing them with walking/staring doesn't equate an interesting trailer. To you it might be clear, but I've got no clue what this movie is about. (Except that it is a manic-depressive bi-polar drama. In the project discription you talk about strange symptoms and phenomena: that can be trailer gold if you use it.)

From the sideline it is always easy to comment (I'm the first to acknowledge that), but I think the trailer has a few 'problems':
- lack of conflict (due to seemingly randomness)
- the music is pretty cliché and it somehow forced you into a way too long montage.
- the first shot screams 'amateur': it is shaking extremely while walking
- The dialogue at the end... I think it would work better (somewhere) in the beginning: that would at least raise a question with the viewer.
- It might be a bit too on the nose, but if you structure the trailer more in a way where manic and depression have their place you can at least create the emotional drama in the conflict.

Fortunately, a bad trailer can still be a good movie and vice versa.
Although a good trailer helps selling your campaign and your movie.
It may be unfair, but when I'm picking 'unknown movies', I do look at the trailer and so do many others.

Good luck with the campaign.
Keep me (and the rest) posted on where and when the movie will be screened: as I said: I'm always curious.

this is why i dont bother anymore . guys like you say your interested but then you want to tear down. Because everyone is jealous, cos they've done nothing.

I havent seen any real trailers on this site and there arent many on kickstarter. you are reaching just to criticize.
If you are beating something down , you better have more than the first shot . Which i'm sure is a style.
and music being cliche i dont get what you mean by that. Do you know who the composer is?
they probably had to go to more trouble to get that song than most of these trailers
the dialogue should be at the beginning not the end. wow what a big one and what a big change. Huge flaws...

do you hear yourself? sorry its been awhile i have a life

I hope you collaborate better with your band. At least what I've heard sounded pretty good.

Yes, I was interested. That doesn't automaticly make me a blind fanboy.
I'm not here on IT to beat anything down. Beating things down is easy.
Trying to suggest (possible) improvements for sure takes more time and effort than lashing out in anger and just scream at everyone who is not saying what you want to hear.
You just can't handle any feedback and try to talk people down, because they don't agree with you.
That is why most people here don't react anymore: the "I'm the best and you are all losers"-mantra is not the best way to gain support.

If you think that the order of shots doesn't matter, than why bother editing at all?
(Why even bother to aim the camera at anything? Because if the edit doesn't matter, than what is shown in the frame doesn't matter either.)
Have you tried to put it to the front?
Do you know why I think it matters?
Your trailer is too long now because you let the music dictate the length of the edit. But the edit becomes boring and seems random, so many people will not reach the dialogue in the end, but just leave. You want people to support you? Hook them. Just like a great song hooks the listener.

Editing evokes thoughts.
The basic 'rule' that defines the way a movie or video conveys a message to the public.
A different order can and mostly will convey a different message.

You may call the first shot 'style', but the rest of the shots isn't bouncing around like that. The bouncing is also not motivated, so it appears like a sloppy shot. First impressions do matter.
It's like starting with a 'true cvlt black metal riff' from a rehearsel tape while the rest is great sounding indiepop. :P (ok, that is a bit extreme comparison)

That the music was composed by Vivaldi is not the point.
The point is that it has been used more often than you are aware of. And it is often used in a way that doesn't do the piece (isn't it his 2nd in g-minor?) any justice. The pace and energy are a mismatch. At least to me.
So using it is a bit cliché (at least to me: I have seen it too often), while it is still a great composition.
Great music can be used in the wrong way.
If great music was all it takes to make a great video or movie, then indeed editing would be a waste of time.

You don't have to agree with my insights and opinions, but rest assured: I'm not trying to break things down. I offered ideas that might improve your trailer.
I'm not jealous, angry or part of a major conspiracy trying to hide your genius for the rest of the world. But feel free to think whatever you want.

I know it's not always nice to get feedback.
The trick it to not take it personal, but to breathe in and breathe out and look at the offered feedback, because it offers a new perspective. Then decide what to do with it. I know it is not easy: you work hard on your 'baby', so the movie is personal.
Rearranging an edit to see whether or not something might work better isn't the end of the world. It's actually a pretty small effort compared to editing a feature.
Trust me: I've re-edited stuff before. I don't think I am the best. I listen to feedback and sometimes I use it and sometimes I don't. But I never think that jealous people try to break it down.

Apparently you thought your trailer would be great, because others are bad, but that is not how it works.
I'm sure Vivaldi did a lot more effort on his concerto than you on your trailer.

I want everyone to succeed. Trust me.
I'm done typing now. It is probably a wasted effort anyway.

It might be a terrific movie. The problem I have is the lie told. I am
thrilled to learn of new movies. I love hearing success stories from
fellow filmmakers. What I dislike is being mislead.

Ms. Todd signed up today and posted twice about this movie; a movie
she “found”. Why not be honest? What does this lie do? Does it make
me more likely to donate? We here at indietalk admire filmmaker who
are working hard to make a movie. Most of us feel mislead with this kind
of announcement.

She did not just find this movie and then happen to find indietalk. She
did some research, found several film forums and used a misleading
method to announce a project she is very likely connected to in some way.
I would prefer to be treated with respect. Perhaps that comes across to you,
Liam, as hypocritical.

To Sarah; be proud that you are connected to a wonderful project. Promote
it to indietalk with honesty. Treat us all the a little respect.

Exactly. I'll never understand the mind-set of the folks who promote their film via a fake alter-ego. Just fucking promote it! :weird:

This person also didn't even bother to do a quick research on this site and realize that everyone kinda knows each other and the members are the same groups of returning people.

This isn't a forum with total anonymity where your first post is indistinguishable from your millionth and nobody knows who posted it.

Weird. I hate the spammy stuff. I agree they should be open and be like "This is my super awesome project that you want, nay, NEEEED to donate to'.

Speaking of which, go and watch my... kidding.

Back