I was asked to co-direct.

An actress from my short film was going to direct her own short film script and it's her first time directing. She asked me if I would like to co-direct. I said sure, but how does that work really? I mean how to do directors come to a consensus on things? Who has the final word? It seems there would just be a lot of clashing, if you have two, as oppose to one.

The director has the final say, unless there's a producer who's financing all the stuff.
The co-director is basically the one who is helping out the director, and learning from them.

So the experienced person should get the director title, and the new person should get the co-director title...

Being it's a new person but her idea, i would let her have final say on script changes and the likes, but you as the experienced one, should have the final say on what works best on shooting.

But it's all in the arrangements and compromises you make before hand. And be sure to have something rock solid before you do that.

At least, this is what i would do. (no idea if hollywood would do it this way) :D

You have a point but I tend to disagree, duck. There are many cases in Hollywood of a first time director picking up an experienced AD/director to support them and teach them the ropes. Personally, I think there's nothing wrong with that at all.

My advice is to be 1st AD or line producer. It's her project, she gets to make all the final decisions, you just have to carry them out without any gripes. If she asks for advice, give it. Don't offer unsolicited advice once production begins, mostly because everything should have been thrashed out in preproduction. BTW, that's entirely different than reminding her of scheduling, location, personnel, financial or logistical problems or restraints. Your job is to run the shoot, her job is to be creative.

Your job as 1st AD (or line producer) is to keep the shoot organized and on schedule; her job is to direct. When you get to your next project you will direct and she will be 1st AD/line producer. Then it will be her job to run the shoot and your job to be creative.

I'd second 1st AD. I've never personally seen a co-directed production work smoothly -- even with folks who have spent quite a bit of time on sets. You have to go in with a strong working relationship to make it go.

I'm going to be a stickler here and say that being a co-director is a very different job from being a 1st AD.

Co-director suggests that she is looking for you to have creative and directional input. That might mean helping the actors with rehearsals and blocking or it might mean organising the camera crew so that you get the right sort of coverage. That's very different to the job that a 1st AD ought to be doing on set.

I'm also judging this based on the fact that she's an actress who has worked with you as a director. She's seen the way you direct and it's that sort of input that she wants. Making you her 1st AD would be another way of asking you to step down a rung in terms of creativity and responsibility. I'm sure that there are sets that you'd kill to be 1st AD on but the set of one of your former actresses is unlikely to be that.

Directing and co-directing (although you should push for just having two directors rather than one of each) is about working together, playing to your respective strengths and using your cumulative talents to make the filmmaking process better and easier. Co-directing doesn't work if there isn't a strong sense of collective vision which is probably why you find so many pairs of siblings working together in this way i.e. The Coen Brothers, The Wachowskis, The Dardenne Brothers...etc. If you want to approach the project from two different points of view then no, this won't work. But if you have a similar end in mind then it can be a very useful exercise.

Small question: is she producing as well?

I think she is producing as well, and will find out. She said she is looking to me for input, and can give her suggestions on angles and storytelling. I will talk to her more about it and find out more specifics.

Sounds mostly like 'friends' helping each other out.
Likely she just needs the exact same guidance as you/we've all received here, you're just able to provide hands-on been-there-done-that-only once-before-her. ;)
And that's cool.
Freshmen helping out sophmores. No big whup.

I'd keep the arangement as informal and casual as possible.
If she wants help - give your 2pesos.
If she asks you to show her - show her.
If you don't know something - tell her and then ya'll start guessing a solution that works.
See if you two can figure out some sort of reciprocal working arangement - or is she just pumping and dumping you?
Your gut call.

Consider yourself 'technical advisor', something like Yoda to her Luke. :)

GL

I don't think she's dumping me. She is actually shooting it herself cause she took a photography course. She wants me to co-direct as she put it, but wants me to star in it too. She liked my acting in my short, and thought I would be perfect for the main character. But yeah, it's probably mostly guidance tips. I'm game!

Last edited:
Back