• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch My Lady X Episode Online

Hi all,

I posted the episode I made for the Lady X series online yesterday. So far, it's had a lukewarm reception... 250 views, 3.3 out of 5 rating.

I'd love to get some critical feedback, so if you have some time please check it out at http://www.ladyxfilms.com (click the episode 01 link) then come back and let me have it with both barrels.

Thanks!

John

Lady X

I really liked a lot of the camera angles you used and the black & white plus camera effect was totally cool! I am hoping for more insight into the story in the later episodes, but visually, this was pretty damn cool.

To SursumFilms for Lady X.

First of all, I can't say much because I didn't participate in the project. I'm busy working on my movie, finishing it up. But if I had time it would have been cool to have worked on it. It looks like it'll be a very cool project when finished.

Now to the critique

The Good: I liked the B&W and Echoing for the confusion and close contact. I enjoyed some of your shots and I don't know how you got access to a helicopter, but good for you! The locations were good and the detail in the look and feel of each character was good as well.

The Bad: The acting was only so-so. And while some camera shots were good, others were too wide. Some of your shots for the change of clothes could be improved with the addition of Close-ups or maybe Xtreme Close Ups in your case. Also while good to move the camera, some of the outside shots could have used a nice solid steady shot.

The Basics: I liked what you did overall. But there is something missing from the movie. I think you need a few more sound effects, a little more suspence, and better acting to round it out. But the basic putting together of the movie was well done. I think you should applaud yourself for that! You have good concepts in how the movie should move from one place to the other, but a good DP would make all the difference.

just my .02
pikachu

Thanks, jaimyon and elec_pikachu.

I think the biggest problems were my inexperience and the fact that there was no crew. This was my second short film and that day was actually the very first time I'd used a Glidecam (it's obvious that I'm having a hard time controlling the camera). It was a lot of fun, though, and I'm definitely hooked on Glidecams now.

Since there was no crew, everything was stripped down to its most basic. For instance, I only brought the wide angle 3X lens with me to shoot most days since the Glidecam rig was so big and hard to transport. Consequently, it was hard to get in any tighter. I really wanted to get closer in some cases...especially the very first shot where the bad guy peeks around the corner. Oh, well...

The actors included two indie veterans (Lady X and the bad guy) and two people that had never acted before. They had no preparation time and, in fact, because of their work schedules, couldn't be filmed on the same days. So the office scenes were all shot separately and then pieced together. The two non-actors, the head spy and the security monitor, simply sat down at desks, were fed lines one-by-one (first time they'd heard them), and they would repeat them back to me...so considering they didn't have the other actors in the room to interact with and didn't know the full story, I think they did a pretty decent job.

The whole thing cost about $350-400...most of that going to the helicopter. I just lucked out in finding a 15-minute tour service here in Tokyo that's pretty cheap. Turns out they're the same guys that transported James Bond in a film way back in the 60s.

Anyway...it was a lot of fun and I learned a lot. I learned especially NOT to do it alone next time! You guys have given me some good pointers...I'll work on improving them in the next film.

Good luck in your upcoming film, elec_pikachu!

Good and Bad

Well it's been said before. The editing and some of the camera work was very good. The story wasn't much. And the acting ... the acting was really bad.

I know that the Head Agent and the Security Guard (isn't it funny that in all spy movies, the spy agencies always have dumb security guards?) didn't know the story and had no prep time, but the "Blast, that girl!" line and the SG's facial expressions were just bad, bad, bad. You have to give your actors some prep time. Even nontalented actors are better with prep time. Those two guys just looked so uncomfortable.

The story, as I said, wasn't much, but it was intriguing. I would like to see where X's adventures take her, especially if her adventures take her to places where she keeps getting undressed. Speaking of that, think to yourself, if you were trying to change from one disguise to another in an alley while a man was running around with a gun looking to kill you, would you change so slowly? I know you're upping the sexiness of the character (which she is sexy), but you also need to retain some realism.

And as was said before, I liked the B&W ghosting technique.

Please don't take my words wrong. I'm not trying to put you down. I just relate this stuff to my own experiences. For instance, when showing people my first short, I got a lot of, "That was good." and "I really liked it." I had one guy that told me what he didn't like and what he thought I should've done differently. I learned more about my directing and editing from that one conversation than I did from all of the praisers.

I want to praise you for coming up with an intriguing film with such a small budget, but I want to implore you to fix the problems for the second installment.

Poke

Poke,

No offense taken at all. Feedback is a valuable thing and I appreciate your comments. And I agree with all your comments really.

To be honest, with the limited time and resources, it was just too much for me to handle alone...so a LOT of compromises were made. Too many. I'm looking forward to future projects where I can either spend more time on it and do it myself, or get a crew involved (the latter is what I'll shoot for from now on).

When I was editing the two non-actors, I kept thinking of shows like "Sons of the Beach" and thinking that their performances were at least on par with that. But there's a big difference when the bad acting is a beautiful girl in a bikini, I guess. ;)

You're from Round Rock, eh? I'm originally from Austin. Good to hear from a neighbor.

Good to hear!

Good. I also forgot to mention that I really liked the way you shot Lady X. The fact that we never see her face makes her all the more intriguing. I realize, after reading the rules, that you were told to shoot her this way. But believe me it makes you look like a genius.

I do live in Round Rock. I sent you a Personal Message about that.

I looked on the website, but I couldn't find a place to vote for you to be the Final Episode director. Where is that? And can we expect a Lady X DVD next summer?

Poke

Poke,

Thanks for that! The voting mechanism won't be installed until December after all the episodes have aired. I seriously doubt I'll be in the running for the final episode, though. I'm one of the executive producers of the project, so I get sneak peeks at what's coming...and let me tell you...there are some talented filmmakers contributing over the next six months. A couple in particular I know will leave my beginner effort in the dust.

The DVD idea would be great! For legal/tax reasons, we made this strictly non-profit--therefore, every producer retains full rights to their films. We can't distribute them without their approval...plus, we can't use some of the same music due to licensing. Rule and regulations are a pain, aren't they?

But we're considering some options...and I know that individually the filmmakers will be submitting their films to festivals and such.

Be on the lookout for Lady X 2004...think we can twist your arm to sign up?

I'm there.

You read my mind! That was gonna be my next question. I've been milling ideas for the past thirty minutes. If I'm able, I'm willing.

If any of the filmmakers doesn't want to be a part of the DVD, then they're just extreme poo-poo heads! It looks like a cool idea, and with the right advertising it could do really well, especially after the success of The Animatrix.

Poke

I just watched it and I thought it was very good. I really like all the camera work, and the use of color and black and white to set up moods. Very nicely done. :)

P.S. I would be very intresteing in producing one of your episodes.

Thanks, HailtotheKing!

I was worried whether people would think that was a bit "effect-excessive"...but it was kind of hard to fill that time and not show the main character or have her speak...so I had to use all the bells & whistles I could come up with.

Around January 2004, I'll be sure to come back here and give you guys a heads up on the next round...a little "advance notice."

Sursum!

Hey! How are you. Thanks for the words of encouragement on my upcoming movie.

Also I wanted to tell you something. With my film I did 95% of the work. I had two other people helping me, but one did makeup and the other ran errands because I could not leave the set. Doing everything yourself is not that big of an excuse, and trust me. I did a student film with a crew of 40! and I got more done doing this last one by myself. Not to say I always want to work by myself, cause I'd love to work with lots of people, but not always is it a benefit to have huge amounts of people around. You have to weigh which is better during that point in time.

Thanks
pikachu

elec_pikachu,

Didn't mean to make it sound like an excuse...but shooting alone was definitely a hindrance. For instance, transporting the camera, extras, and a Glidecam by myself...I couldn't manage carrying a tripod as well (Don't have a car since I live in downtown Tokyo...I get around by taxi and subway). So, some shots that really needed to be anchored and steady are consequently shaky. Plus, you have to keep in mind that doing anything is a bit more of a task in a foreign language and a different culture.

If I'd have had just one able-bodied production assistant, who spoke Japanese...that would've made a lot of difference. I'm already planning what's next...and believe me...top on my priority list is getting some help.

But like I said before...I'm not hiding behind that as an excuse. Plain lack of experience. Especially the Glidecam work...that was practically out of the box shooting...not a smart idea in retrospect.

Just those two points alone...mounted steady shots and better control with the Glidecam would have helped the visual aspect a great deal. And an assistant would've solved the first one.

I agree with you, though...it depends on the film and the situation. I've been thinking about a sleepy little short...completely void of action...and that one I'm sure I could pull off by myself.

40 crew members! That must've been a "Why don't you..." nightmare!

Hey Sursum,

I know you're not makign excuses. But I know we're all out here doing it so I'm like, forget it. In fact with my last piece, I would still opt to have a small crew even if I had money. The biggest problems I had were with sound and lighting. I think I could probably do a better job lighting next time, but sound is just something I need where someone is giving 100% focus to. But oh well. I still think it came out okay.

pika

Big Crews vs Small Crews

I'v not been priviledged enough to work with a big crew. But I would argue that it's not the size of the crew, it's the willingness. I could use 40 willing individuals as well as I could use 2. But if you throw me a bunch of people who just want to say that they worked on a film, forget it.

Poke

Well, Poke

That's what I had. 40 folks who wanted to try their hand at filmmaking, but didn't knwo anything about it. I speant half of my time "setting them up!" hahaha Like they were lights or props. Then they would ask questions like "Is it okay, if I see the microphone?" and the person is a camera man. I mean it was just too much to bear. Now I just want one to two solid sound people, and would like two real camera people. If I get that on my next movie I'll be more than happy with my crew! hahaha

pika

That sounds about right.

I guess the closest experience I've had, was once I worked on someone else's project. I guess I was one of those "set ups". But the fact that I kept asking about stuff was the reason I learned so much on that shoot. So, I guess you have to at least give them credit for trying to learn.

My worst experience as director was when I had a small crew who were all only available for two or three hours at a time. The problem was that these two hour time periods were scattered in the wind. I would have maybe two or three people ava. for thirty minutes at a time.

Poke

Back