10 films u enjoi

recent movie bias

Hi all,
I'm a newbie here so I'll probably get flamed for not putting up my top 10 list - still working on it.
But I did want to point out that there seems to be a pretty strong skew to more recent films on the list. Aside from the occasional Citizen Kane it's all stuff from the last 5-7 years.
Just an observation.
Catalina

Flame the newbie! Flame the newbie!
smiley_burn.gif

Just kidding ;)

There are some lists in there with older stuff, including mine. (Just had to edit it 'cos a remake of one just came out... tsk tsk)

You a fan of older films?

Ok then, favorite films made before 1960

This will be tough, because I've probably not seen that many... I will exclude Metropolis and Cabinet of Dr. Caligari because they were on my first list. I'll also exclude Citizen Kane, King Kong, and Casablanca (though I like all three very much).

Not in any particular order:

The Fly
Yankee Doodle Dandy
Wings
Nosferatu
African Queen
The General
His Girl Friday
Frankenstein
High Noon
Glen Miller Story
The Quiet Man
The Blob
Holiday Inn
The Incredible Shrinking Man
War of the Worlds

-- yes, I watched a lot of old horror movies as a kid. And I'll admit I never saw the old musicals till my wife made me watch them...

i probably did put a lot of recent films in my top ten actually. so here are some i enjoy that weren't made in the last 5 - 7 years.

Casablanca
The Breakfast Club
A Nightmare On Elm Street
Goldfinger
The Wizard Of Oz
Gone With The Wind
oh what was that film with the guy in a wheelchair who sees a murder...cant remember the name...
Texas Chainsaw massacre

there ya go :)

Re: recent movie bias

Catalina said:
But I did want to point out that there seems to be a pretty strong skew to more recent films on the list. Aside from the occasional Citizen Kane it's all stuff from the last 5-7 years.
Just an observation.
Catalina

You gotta understand that people will feel more of a connection with films that they grew up with...

...good observation, though. I honestly didn't notice at first.

I know there are some brilliant films in the history of cinema, I just don't get into older films as much, maybe it's an aesthetic thing. My top two favorite films are 2001 A Space Odyessy and The Exorcist, and I think 2001 is still ahead of it's time thematically and structurally. Geez, what an amazing film! People still don't get it, though...

in no particular order:
Texas chainsaw massacre (1974)
the hills have eyes
halloween
mallrats
office space
orgazmo
basketball
night of the living dead
terror firmer
ed wood (or any movie directed by ed wood)

Wow, my top ten. Here goes:

1. Excalibur
2. Goodfellas
3. Aliens
4. Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back
5. Raiders of the Lost Ark
6. Stargate
7. Dead Ringers
8. The Fly (Goldblum)
9. LOTR: FotR
10. The Fugitive

Back