Can I build a DIY follow focus for this task?

I had watched some tutorials on how to make one but they are all for lenses where the focus ring, is more in the middle. Can I build one for where the focus ring is right at the end of the lens and it can fit on without creating shadow in the picture? Cause all the examples I come across and the ones at the camera store, are for lenses with the ring in the middle. I was also wondering if it's possible to rack not only the focus, but the polarizer as well. If I have a shot in mind where I want to show the reflection change, I would like to rack on the polarizer, especially since turning the polarizer by hand takes too long, and you have to have a contraption that can turn the polarizer quicker. The focus ring has grooves in it for a follow focus to grip onto to turn it. But a polarizer is completely smooth, and I cannot get a secure enough grip on it with anything other than my hand.

Thanks for any tips.

Last edited:
If you want to look a little more pro here's an inexpensive option:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190978965999

And some cheapie rails to put it on:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310831417349

That's less than $80 delivered to your door and some of the reviews I've seen of it show it working pretty well.

One issue however has to do with Canon kit lenses.
Since the focus ring moves fore and aft, you might be better off with a simple follow focus like the jar openers mentioned above.

There are also some like the jar opener featured on ebay made specifically for camera use that run around $15

I've got the Canon 55-250 which is made very much like that lens and yes, a follow focus like the one I mentioned would work fine with it.
Unlike the 18-55mm kit lens that comes with most of the Rebel series (T2i and up), the focus ring doesn't move forward and back when in use.

By the way, I bought the rails and follow focus I pointed out and the build quality is surprisingly good for something priced so low.

Okay thanks. What about that 75-300mm lens? Is it a good lens for documentary film work? I am leaving the country to shoot something big for a company, so I need to get a good lens for this project. Is that one good, for it's cheap price?

Back